🐈
» Forums » Clients » PayPal payment unsuccessful
Page options
81d980af
Community Member

PayPal payment unsuccessful

I set PayPal as my primary payment method, backed by my bank account. (All in the UK) That's my standard payment setting for almost all products and services I buy.

But this week's payment was unsuccessful.

Customer support directed me to contacted PP, which I did twice. Naturally nothing useful was said or done by either PP or upwork support. In fact, upwork support  has been shining by their absence for at least 24 hours now.

I get the impression that upwork wants to railroad users into using cards and paying more that way. That's why I only back my PP with my bank account. I have left my card out of it. But I need to know for certain, if I did back PP with my debit card, would I get the added fees too? Or does the use of PP provide a layer of protection against that?

To add insult to injury, while ignoring my support requests, they did block my account for not paying, despite multiple attempts to make things right.
The freelancer also sent me a screenshot with the outstanding balance, but with next Wednesday's date. If that's the default, why am I being penalised? Would I even be able to pay before then, assuming the real problem is identified and fixed?
I want to to hire this freelancer on a permanent basis. And this issue is not only holding up my project but might alienate a treasure of an assistant.

6 REPLIES 6
VladimirG
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Amy,

I'm sorry to hear about the issue you're having with using your PayPal account as a billing method on Upwork. I see our agent shared detailed instructions with you yesterday on how to check and identify the issue on your PayPal account and you later followed up confirming the issue has been resolved as advised by PayPal CS.

I checked and see the subsequent attempts to charge your card have failed and will ask someone from our team to follow up on your ticket and share an update.

Note that a fair number of clients on Upwork are successfully using PayPal as their billing method regularly and you'll also be able to use this payment method as soon as the issue with your PayPal account has been resolved.

~ Vladimir
Upwork

Thanks for your reply. But the point is that there is no issue with my PP account. After two lengthy interactions with them, I was referred back to you.
Would you please get whoever looks into this to address every detail of the problem?

Such as: does PP, if used with a card, prevent those added charges that happen with regular card payments? I'm strictly linking PP to my bank account to avoid needless charges. But could this be unnecessary?

And what about the timing of the payment and subsequent work?

Also, without reference to yourself, how about being more prompt with fixing issues than with penalising accounts? Maybe doing one would prevent a lot of the other.

I had a reply from an agent. Thanks for at least waking them up.

However, they sent me the same generic instructions I already followed without success. Immediately after yesterday's fruitless conversations with PP, I informed support of this. Maybe someone who knows more than copy and paste should look into this. I don't know how else to put this: I'm willing and able to pay now.

Hi Amy,

I'm sorry you're not happy with the response our agent shared. Please note that we're still not able to charge your PayPal account and I'd kindly ask you to follow the steps from the initial message our team shared, if you haven't already. Additionally, please check if your card hasn't expired, if you have sufficient balance on your bank account, if the card meets the requirements listed here, contact your bank to check if there aren't any restrictions placed on it and if your card can be used for making this type of payments. You can also try setting up a different credit card on your PayPal account and updating your ticket.

In the meantime, please consider setting up a different credit card as your billing method if you'd like to proceed with your contract and issue a payment to your freelancer.

Please follow up on your ticket to continue the conversation with our team.

~ Vladimir
Upwork

I really don't understand why you keep repeating unhelpful information.
At the same time several questions remain ignored.

There is nothing wrong with my PayPal, card or bank account. But I'm purposely not using my card to avoid the fees you kindly add, in exchange for nothing.
So once again, assuming I wanted to fund PP with my card instead of my bank account, would I still get those card fees?

Also what is upwork's problem with PP drawing from a bank account? I asure you again that nothing is wrong with my PP or bank accounts. I use both daily.

c3f45bf7
Community Member

Amy, from what I have determined, because I have the same issue, is that PayPal nor Upwork are the problem.  I have my PayPal set to PayPal Credit for my preferred payment method.  All of my projects before this were accepted using PayPal Credit.  Only recently has that changed and Upwork has been charging my credit card, which is my backup funding source.

PayPal says that Synchrony Bank has recently taken over at PayPal and they are in the middle of the transition.  PayPal support suggested that I contact Synchrony Bank, directly.,,,**Edited for Community Guidelines**

Upwork really doesn't know why their project payment are going to my credit card...and let's hope that's true, because they will lose thousands of PayPal customers if they are only taking credit cards from now on.  I really don't think that it is case.  Contact Synchrony.  I am contacting them tomorrow morning, myself.

Latest Articles
Learning Paths