🐈
» Forums » Clients » Paying a secondary milestone - not the primar...
Page options
mscotth
Community Member

Paying a secondary milestone - not the primary/current milestone

Hi there-

So I'd like to know if there is a way to pay a milestone that is not yet active but saved in Upwork. For example, we have 5-6 assignments for one of our writers. I create the first milestone, and it's active. Then I create the other 4-5 milestones which she will see once the 1st one is approved (by our secondary client) and can be paid. However, the way we work, I let her know of the pending milestones, so she can get working on those if she wants. Sometimes deadlines are so close, I need her to turn 2-3 assigments in around the same time. So the client may approve the 2nd milestone (not active) and I can pay my writer for that one but not the active one. But I can't because I have to pay the 1st, active milestone before I can pay the 2nd. I've already created 3 different contracts for this writer to help alleviate some of this, but it's still not enough. I'd rather not have a new contract for every job. She's doing 30-50/month. That would get crazy. Is there a way to pay subsequent milestones without paying the primary/active one? Hope this makes sense. Thanks for your help.

FOR CLARIFICATION: The susequent milestones (post primary/active milestone) are active and funded - but they don't show to my writer until that 1st one is paid. Didn't want you to think I was just assigning something outside of Upwork without creating it in Upwork first.

2 REPLIES 2
mscotth
Community Member

Further clarification:

The milestones behind the primary are only saved - not active or funded. I just paid a few and realized that when I saved them, they don't get activated or funded. Sorry for the confusion. Someone please take me out to the shed Old Yeller-style please. 

AveryO
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Scott, 

Please note that you may only fund one milestone at a time on a specific contract. Funds must be released on the current milestone before the next one can be activated and funded. However, you can release a partial milestone payment and any remaining funds can be used to fund the next milestone, or you can request an escrow refund for the remaining amount if you and your freelancer or agency are ending the contract. When you approve a milestone you will be asked if you want to end the contract or keep it open. You can then activate (or create) the next milestone.

You may read more about it here. Let me know if this doesn't answer your question, and I'll assist you further.

~ Avery
Upwork
Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths