cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Payment Cancellation

Madhup T Member Since: Dec 11, 2013
1 of 13
Hello People I want to know that let's suppose i have made a payment to a freelancer and i want to cancel it because of some reason, can i cancel it and if yes the how and in how much time i get the confirmation that the payment made to the contractor has been cancelled. Thanks Madhup Tiwari
Ayesha S Member Since: Nov 22, 2009
2 of 13
Hi Madhup, You can cancel a payment within 24hrs. Please contact Customer Support for assistance.
oDesk Forum Moderator Always reach for the skies, for even if you fall, you'll still be on the top of the world...
Community Guru
Misty K Member Since: Feb 5, 2012
3 of 13
And does Odesk even alert the poor contractor, you know, the one who has possibly been working for the Client who seems to want to wiggle around the payment policy? This doesn't seem fair either. When has there ever been the possibility of a client canceling a payment to a contractor who has been working? I am really starting to hate what I"m learning here. Can there be some clarification on this? Just when does a Client have a right to hire a contractor, have them start working and then suddenly cancel a payment to them for that? This sounds like a huge waste of time for the contractor.
Community Guru
Heather H Member Since: May 9, 2011
4 of 13
I understand your concern, but it isnt always about cheating the contractor. This ability has been around for a while, I remember some time about 2 years back I had a contractor working for me on a long term project, I paid them manually weekly, one week, I was under the weather and paid them twice, however, the second payment had one to many zero's, instead of paying $100, I issued $1,000, thankfully, if you contact support in 24 hours, they can stop the payment, and save trouble on all sides. It isnt really fair to assume that a client is up to no good without knowing all the facts.
Community Guru
5 of 13
And certainly it isn't what the OP is talking about. If I'm interpreting correctly, he has sent an upfront to a contractor who is (more than likely) underway with the work. Now, without notification he wants to suddenly stop the payment. That is wrong. This is a waste of a contractors time to even start if incidents like this can happen. I understand what you're saying in a payment that was the wrong amount, but that isn't what we are talking about. That is a totally different topic. This is about a payment in process, that is accurate, and suddenly the client has a change of heart. I'm sorry, but I don't see the justification in allowing the client to just pull the payment back with no notification to the contractor at all. What if the contractor has sent preliminary work to the client already? I know I do this on fixed price contracts because I do require 75% upfront fees. In a situation like that a contractor would have wasted their time, better served elsewhere. To me, there is no excuse in it. I find it rather distasteful (really more than just distasteful). Based on knowing this I doubt I ever do fixed price EVER again. Nope.
Community Guru
Heather H Member Since: May 9, 2011
6 of 13
I never said my situation is what the OP was talking about, simply listing a factual example of one of the any hundreds of reasons a payment may need to be canceled. Somehow I am not sure where you saw that I stated this is exactly what the OP was talking about. I also to the time to read his two sentances again, very slowly, somehow, you see that he said he sent an upfront payment to a contractor that is working, and wants to stop that upfront payment. No matter how many times I read his message, I dont see that information, perhaps he is your client, or you know the details of the issue that are not posted here, hence your detailed commenting. Any payment in process is subject to changes, Personally, I have no way of knowing if the OP had a change of heart as your are stating as fact, or if there is some other issue (obviously I do not know all the the details from either party, maybe you can help since you are dealing with the situation personally and have all the facts). The contractor does get a notification when a in-process payment is canceled or changed. Meh :/
Community Guru
7 of 13
First, I never said your specific situation had anything to do with the OP. I was simply acknowledging you mentioning being under the weather and a payment having too many zeros, etc. I never said it had anything to do with this. And, since the OP's statements are rather vague, then my response is based on what may be the case. That is the only way it can really be looked at because after all, why is he asking the question? Is he considering doing this action later? Again, Who can know? So, my entire response is based on the "What If's, which should have been clearly obvious". And for this, here is HIS statement that I'm going on: "I want to know that let's suppose i have made a payment to a freelancer and i want to cancel it because of some reason" Now, I think that sometimes reading between the lines is important. You learn this is psychiatry and psychology (I've majored in). No one is going to come on and say they actually want to yank funds away from a contractor. You can't just look at the black and white. ( I guess I analyze everything and look beyond, this is what psychology has done to me Smiley Happy ) My opinion is that, the OP might be considering justifying a cancellation of payment (it is obvious). The fact is (whether it is liked or not) there are many shady interactions on this platform so assumptions are very often given. Now, I'm not adding anything to what this OP said, in fact, he clearly stated "if, for some reason, he wanted to cancel the payment..." "For some reason" isn't really good enough.... That could be, "I changed my mind," "I don't like the work" (when clearly Odesk policy states the quality can't be the deciding factor on a refund) "I don't want to pay" etc..... I think, the only way a payment can be cancelled is through fixed. You can't cancel an hourly job payment because it is automatic. In other words, it is automatically billed. The only way that would be possible is if the contractors time has gone through and he or she has received payment; then the client decides they want to cancel? Very unlikely it would occur. And how would Odesk justify it? Why really debate this? Trying to take money back from a job that is or was being carried out is WRONG. Unless it was done absolutely opposite specifications, or isn't even the work requested. That is different though. I'm just being hypothetical and there is nothing wrong with that. I just feel that the whole thing is a little muddy to me. Meaning it raises some red flags in my mind. I've been in this business long enough to sense when something doesn't feel right. So, let me point out again. I'm pointing out hypotheticals. I didn't say I was adding anything, or imagining anything. This is what I perceive the situation to be about. Perhaps even avoiding payment altogether, who knows. Anything is possible. The bottom line is I still say it is wrong to be deceiving like this. Don't have a contractor plan on working on something, send them an upfront, or have them work hourly and then change your mind. THEY STILL WORKED. Thus, they still deserve to be paid. The only other way that a cancelled payment could be possible is if the client sent an upfront, no work has been started and he suddenly changes his mind about wanting the project done. In that sense it is fine to cancel, but the contractor deserves to be told too. There are often messages that the contractor never receives from Odesk, we all know this. They seem to disappear or never get delivered at all. The client should make it a point to speak to the contractor about issues such as these. Period.
Jesse A Member Since: Aug 14, 2013
8 of 13
seriously, you are reading one way between the lines. there are multiple other ways to read between the lines. The person is looking to see how Odesk works. I had a contractor put illegal content on my website. I never asked for this. Things like this happen, and I want to know I have a way to cancel payment. I also had my internet connection go out during payment, thought the payment did not go through and double paid. Wanting to know if in the future it is possible to cancel a payment is a valid question. Reading between the lines can be good, but assuming someone is being deceptive is not acceptable. Read between the lines, but do not attack when you do not know what is actually going on... and there is not any possible way to know what is going on in that situation... even if it looks shady, deceptive, or based on some other negatively motivated factor. I came to this page, because I needed the answer to the problem of double paying. This page helped me. That is the only information that should exist on this page... other comments do not belong here. Yes, including my own. A mod should delete these irrelevant comments.
Pete M Member Since: Mar 22, 2016
9 of 13

Hello there, 
I need to cancel a payment to a contractor. I tried the link you provided for customer service on my computer and my phone and neither could reach the website. Could you tell me how to cancel this payment under "Additional Payments and Credits" please?  Thanks!

Community Guru
Ryan C Member Since: Feb 3, 2017
10 of 13

Hello Pete,

I have escalated your concern. One of our team members will reach out to you shortly.

Untitled
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS