cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Payment Discrepancy

Erin D Member Since: Aug 21, 2017
1 of 20

I have been paying a weekly salary to my freelancer on top of the tracked hours (at the hourly rate agreed upon) for some time now.  I have paid over $2000 to this freelancer yet 1) they are not working the number of hours covered in the weekly salary and 2) they are only being paid the extra that I'm being charged as an hourly rate from the tracked hours.  Why is this so?  I need answers!

Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
2 of 20

@Erin D wrote:

I have been paying a weekly salary to my freelancer on top of the tracked hours (at the hourly rate agreed upon) for some time now.  I have paid over $2000 to this freelancer yet 1) they are not working the number of hours covered in the weekly salary and 2) they are only being paid the extra that I'm being charged as an hourly rate from the tracked hours.  Why is this so?  I need answers!

The weekly salary is set, and does not have anything to do with the number of hours worked.

The above is quite confusing, I am not sure what you are saying is happening, but let's say you hired someone with an hourly rate of $ 20 and have set up an additional salary of $ 500 per week.

In week one the freelancer works 12 hours so gets paid $ 740 ( 12 x $ 20 plus $ 500)

In week two the freelancer works 40 hours so gets paid $ 1300 (40 x $ 20 plus $ 500)

In week three the freelancer works 2 hours so gets paid $ 540 ( 2 x $ 20 plus $ 500)

Can you clarify what you mean by "they are only being paid the extra that I'm being charged as an hourly rate from the tracked hours.??  "

3 of 20
Okay so the weekly salary is $600 a week with an hourly rate of $15/hour.

Example: freelancer worked 15 hours this week - freelancer received $225 ($15/hour times 15 hours) but I have paid $825 (weekly salary of $600/week + $15/hour times 15 hours)

Where is the rest of my money?
4 of 20

This is how much the client has paid:

How much has been paid by client

This is how much the freelancer has received:

How much the freelancer has received

So where is the $2100?

Community Guru
5 of 20

The freelancer has been paid both the salary and the charged hours.

The bit you highlighted just shows the hourly payment, the freelancer will find the salary details on their Reports - Transaction History.

Give them this link https://www.upwork.com/earnings-history

Tell them to filter by client (you) and the timeframe. They will find the salary payments there.

Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
6 of 20

Erin, why are you paying the freelancer a weekly salary or weekly payment?

It is rare for clients to do this.

7 of 20

Preston, this is what I am being charged by Upwork since my freelancer accepted the offer.  

Community Guru
8 of 20

Erin, my point is:

You don't need to pay that $600/week to the freelancer.

Most client DON'T pay weekly payments. Most clients only pay for the hours worked.

Community Guru
9 of 20

It sounds to me like this was not an intentional choice.

If you do not fully understand the meaning and implication of paying weekly payments in addition to paying for hourly work... And if you do not have a compelling reason for making the rare choice to pay weekly payments... Then you should not be doing so.

Community Guru
10 of 20

@Erin D wrote:

Preston, this is what I am being charged by Upwork since my freelancer accepted the offer.  

It is a valid question... Did you MEAN to set up a salary in addition to the hours worked, and if so, why?

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS