cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Payment Discrepancy

Erin D Member Since: Aug 21, 2017
11 of 20

No, I didn't intend to, which is why I'm so dumbstruck!  Based on the amount of work required and the agreed rate, I've already grossly overpaid so I'm now concerned about recouping the overpaid amount.

Vladimir G Moderator Member Since: Oct 31, 2014
12 of 20

Hi Erin,

I see our agent already responded on the request you submitted recently and shared screenshot and information about the salary payments you issued and how they are being displayed on the freelancer's end.

Please share the screenshots with your freelancer so they can identify these payments. If the salary payments were set on this contract in error, please communicate with the freelancer about issuing a refund for the salary payments. Finally, you can end the contract and rehire the freelancer without the weekly payment, if you'd like to be billed only for the hours your freelancer logs.

Community Guru
John K Member Since: Feb 17, 2015
13 of 20

Erin, going forward, what you want to do is set up a weekly limit of 40 hours a week, which combined with an hourly rate of $15/hr will add up to $600 per week. Here's hoping your freelancer gives you a refund for the overpayments. 

14 of 20

@John K wrote:

Erin, going forward, what you want to do is set up a weekly limit of 40 hours a week, which combined with an hourly rate of $15/hr will add up to $600 per week. Here's hoping your freelancer gives you a refund for the overpayments. 

That's what she did.

It went wrong afterwards, when she clicked on "Advanced Options" and "Add a weekly Payment", filled in $ 600 - and clearly didn't read the part that explains that this is a payment in addition to the money for all hours logged under the contract.

15 of 20

John, that's what I did (or at least what I thought I did) - the problem was, I was being charged a weekly salary of $600 a week ($15/hour with a weekly limit of 40 hours/week) PLUS the hours that were actually tracked by Upwork!

16 of 20

Hi Erin,

Please note that the weekly salary payments are not included automatically on Hourly contracts and clients have the option to set these when making an offer to the freelancer. This is what happened on your contract and the only option to retrieve these payments is by asking your freelancer to issue a refund for them.

17 of 20

Thanks, Vladimir.

I have checked with the freelancer and this is his/her transaction history screenshot:

freelancer transaction history.png

And this is my transaction history as a client:

client transaction history.png

There is still a discrepancy of $1245.75 between the freelancer and myself which I am not understanding.  My question now is how do I recoup the overpaid amount that I've apparently already paid in advance?

Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
18 of 20

No, there is no discrepancy.

Look:

The bits marked red are the salary payments the freelancer received because that is what you set up in the contract:

The bits in green is what you meant to pay:

salary.jpg

The freelancer can refund you the salary payments.

Community Guru
Scott E Member Since: Jul 26, 2015
19 of 20

There's a security hold on all fixed payments, and hourly payments take a long while to go through after you've made the payment... so his figures haven't caught up with your figures. Take a look at the $240 you paid on the 31st, for example... it only showed up on theirs on the 6th.

As for getting the salary payments back... you agreed to be billed for them and for them to be paid to the freelancer, so there's not much Upwork can do. You need to speak nicely to the freelancer!  

"Welcome, humans. I'm ready for you!"
- Box, Logan's Run (1976)
20 of 20

Hi Erin,

That's actually not how the Transaction History report looks like on the freelancer's end, please check the screenshot I just pm'd you and you'll be able to see the payments for hours they logged in the previous two weeks you were charged for but which are yet to become available on the freelancer's end, in line with our weekly billing cycle.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS