cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Payment Method with Client

Highlighted
Lauren H Member Since: Apr 28, 2019
1 of 4

Hello, I am new to Upwork. Before sending portions of a project to a client, it is recommended that the client pays first, correct? Does Upwork send workers notifications that the client has paid? Thanks.

Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
BEST ANSWER
2 of 4

Lauren H wrote:

Hello, I am new to Upwork. Before sending portions of a project to a client, it is recommended that the client pays first, correct?

That isn't quite how it works...

Are you properly hired? (Is there a contract on your "My Jobs" page?)

Fixed price or hourly?

It is really quite difficult NOT to get paid here, provided you educate yourself before even applying to any jobs.

Where-Is-My-Money.jpg"Where is my money?"

Lauren H Member Since: Apr 28, 2019
3 of 4

Petra, Thank you for this diagram! The visualization is excellent. Currently I am at the message stage. Knowing how things could/could not go forward helps. Thank you.

Community Guru
Kathy T Member Since: Jul 17, 2015
4 of 4

After the interview stage, the client may (or may not) offer you a contract which you can either accept or decline.

If you accept, and before starting work make sure the clients account is verified.

Then, for fixed rate jobs make sure escrow is FULLY funded either for the entire job or for each milestone as they come up BEFORE starting work.

If all of the above are done, you can start work. When finished, submit the work using the submit work/Request button. 

If that is the end of the job, the client can request edits, release the funds in escrow or in 14 days the funds in escrow will be automatically released to you. If there are milestones, submit the requirements of that milestone with the Submit Work button, and wait until the funds in that milestone are released to you and the next milestone is FULLY funded before you start work on that milestone's scope of work. 

If the job is hourly, make sure the clients account is verified before you start work. Download, install and use the Tracker. Also type in annotations for the screen shots it takes. Finished work can be attached to messages but can also be delivered through email, ftp, dropbox, google drive etc.)

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS