cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Payment by results

Highlighted
Aki H Member Since: May 25, 2017
1 of 7

Hi we would like to make the payment at piece rates. For example, we would like to ask freelancers take photos of restaurants at certain areas and we would like to pay them depending on how many pictures they have covered. At the moment, we ask freelancers how many restaurants they think they can do and set the price (5 per picture) and make the offer, which is a bit hassle. for the future things would be easier if freelancers do their job and let us know how many photos they have taken and we pay them. Do you have any idea to help process this kind of payment? please kindly advise. regards,

Community Leader
Louisa J Member Since: Apr 12, 2017
2 of 7

Hi Aki,

You could use milestones. So top up your account with for example $100.

The freelancer knows the rate of $5 per picture. When they submit the work, they can type how much they need you to pay them in the box. So 5 photos would be $25. They would type $25 and attach the photos and press submit. 

Then you can set them another milestone and out they go and find some more photos. 

If they only find 10 photos, and you have $50 left in the account. When the job ends, the $50 will be returned to you.

Best wishes

Louisa 

Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
BEST ANSWER
3 of 7

(Some great advice from Louisa...)

Aki:

Your interest in charging using piece rates is understandable. But ultimately Upwork just doesn't have an official piece rate contract model, so you need to make due with the system the way it exists. You basically have hourly contracts, fixed-price contracts, automatic weekly payments, and bonuses.

Fixed-price contracts would be the most equitable way to pay. Technically you could use bonus payments only, but a wise freelancer would not agree to that because there is no payment protection for freelancers when using bonus payments.

Luis G Member Since: May 26, 2017
4 of 7

I'm a new client, how do I top up my account we have a very similar model and would to pay on a per completed agent call evaluation sheet.

Community Leader
Louisa J Member Since: Apr 12, 2017
5 of 7

Hi Luis,

You can 'top up' each time you create a milestone. The technical words would be 'to place money in Escrow'. Then just release the money when the client completes a milestone, for however much the client bills you for. But DO put a limit on each milestone or they may try to bill you for everything in Escrow in one go. 

If your freelancer disappears mid contract, you will get the money back that is leftover when the contract is closed.

Louisa 

6 of 7

Hi Preston, thank you very much for replying me. Seeing your explanation, now I understand why I have to go these trouble. Upwork is not designed for piece rate contract work. It makes sense now. Regards, Aki

7 of 7

Hi Louisa, thank you for your reply. It really is helpful and easy to understand. I really appreciate it. Regards, Aki

TOP KUDOED MEMBERS