🐈
» Forums » Clients » Payment completed without asking for OTP
Page options
7e8aa3ac
Community Member

Payment completed without asking for OTP

Hey, I am new to upwork and just hired a freelancer for logo design. I added payment method and money was deducted from my account without asking for an OTP or redirecting to the back website. I used a debit card. All i entered was card number, name, expiry, security code, billing address. This is first time when a payment was completed without asking for an OTP. The amount was not big, 15$. I am worried about safety. Is this normal? 

4 REPLIES 4
raghu4manish
Community Member

hi i am in the same scenario. Did you got any response or any assurance.

Hi Manish,

In some cases, you may need to verify your card by confirming two small charges totalling $10.00 (USD). Upwork may also put a temporary a $1.00 USD authorization hold charge on your card to confirm the card number is valid. You can check this help article for more information.

~ Nikola
Upwork
lysis10
Community Member

Upwork doesn't do a otp IIRC when you enter your payment info.

Asking if it's safe is a loaded question. No, Upwork isn't a phishing site so there's that. Can they be hacked? Probably. 

Is it 100% safe?
Probably not.

Hae I provided Upwork with my credit card info?
Yes.

Have I hired over 100 freelancers on Upwork to help me do things I did not know how to do, or did not have time to do?
Yes.

Have I ever had an erroneous charge from Upwork?
No.

Will I hire freelancers on Upwork again?
Yes.

But going back to the original question: Is providing a credit card number to online websites 100% safe?
No.
And yet, don't we all do it?

Latest Articles
Learning Paths