🐈
» Forums » Clients » Re: Payment for a job
Page options
a1fae53d
Community Member

Payment for a job

I’m very confused about the payment process. I hired a freelancer to create a new resume for me.
I sent the payment on the 21st of October for the job. He finished the job today and I go to check on the job and it’s asking me for another payment. I don’t understand. Please Help.
5 REPLIES 5
m_terrazas
Community Member

Ebuka E wrote:
I’m very confused about the payment process. I hired a freelancer to create a new resume for me.
I sent the payment on the 21st of October for the job. He finished the job today and I go to check on the job and it’s asking me for another payment. I don’t understand. Please Help.

If I understood correctly, did you pay the freelancer before work began?

Yes I paid him before the work began. Sorry, this is my very first time hiring a professional for a job. We did agree on a fixed payment arrangement.

Ebuka,

Well, I hope someone comes up to tell you something, I will mark your post.
But, I think that before continuing to hire, you should read all the information on how to do it.
In the help, here in the forums ...
This works basically like this:
- You hire someone.
- Finance one or more milestones to perform the work (for example, milestone 1- draft XX $, milestone 2- complete work XX $, etc ...)
- When the freelancer sends you the work of the milestone1, you have 14 days to review it, request corrections, etc ... If everything is correct, you release the payment of that milestone.
- You activate the next milestone so that the freelancer can continue with the work, and the same as before.

Paying in advance, if not a trusted freelancer, is a NO.

petra_r
Community Member

Ebuka E wrote:
Yes I paid him before the work began.

You "paid him" or you "funded the work in Escrow" and are now being asked to release those funds if you are happy?

BojanS
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Ebuka,

Hiring offers and new milestones ask you to pre-fund the agreed amount into escrow. You will see three rows in your Transaction history for one milestone funding. That's because each step of the payment is recorded:
Funds are deposited into your account from a billing method
Funds move out of your account into escrow
Funds move out of your account to cover the payment processing fee

To confirm, you only paid for the first milestone funding so far and you're asked for that milestone approval currently as your Freelancer submitted the completed work. You can also check that by going to Jobs and clicking on the contract title. In the Milestones & Payments tab, you'll see how much money is currently in Escrow. When you approve a milestone, the funds are released from Escrow to the freelancer.

For more information, check out this help article.

Thank you!

~ Bojan
Upwork
Latest Articles
Learning Paths