🐈
» Forums » Clients » Payment issue
Page options
70c881e2
Community Member

Payment issue

This is what happen
1) I ask FL to develop a Web application software

2) he send me the file and claim that project is complete and ask me to make payment.
He promise will help me do amendment if something is wrong with the web application.

3) Base on my experience the FL have to let me test the application functionality ( which mean deploy it ) to make sure the web application working fine then only I release the payment.

4) The FL refuse to let me test the application and ask for payment by telling me I am new to upworks bla bla bla.

My Questions:
1) if I release the payment , the FL can get the money in how many days ? ( Example Fiverr free Lance need to wait 20days to actually get the cash ).

2) If I release the payment and found out something is not right , can I request refund ?

I read you FAQ , I am not confirm the answer that is why I ask the above.

Pls help to advice me on this.
Thank you
3 REPLIES 3
petra_r
Community Member

Vincent Y wrote:

1) if I release the payment , the FL can get the money in how many days ? ( Example Fiverr free Lance need to wait 20days to actually get the cash ).

2) If I release the payment and found out something is not right , can I request refund ?

Do not release the money without having the deliverables. 

The workflow is that you pay the full money for the milestone into Escrow, the freelancer does the work and releases the complete deliverables to you and requests payment, you have 14 days to check and request changes if necessary. If you don't approve the milestone or request changes within 14 days, the milestone is auto-released.

Tell the freelancer to contact Upwork if they don't believe you.

1. The freelancer can withdraw the money in 5 days

2. You can "request" a refund, or dispute within 30 days of the invoice date (when the last milestone was released), but it's a hasslesome process to go through dispute mediation, and gets expensive if you need to take it to arbitration, hich costs each party $ 291 (non-refundable if arbitration goes ahead)

You want to avoid that situation.

tta192
Community Member

Vincent Y wrote:
This is what happen
1) I ask FL to develop a Web application software

2) he send me the file and claim that project is complete and ask me to make payment.
He promise will help me do amendment if something is wrong with the web application.

3) Base on my experience the FL have to let me test the application functionality ( which mean deploy it ) to make sure the web application working fine then only I release the payment.

4) The FL refuse to let me test the application and ask for payment by telling me I am new to upworks bla bla bla.

My Questions:

I read you FAQ , I am not confirm the answer that is why I ask the above.

Pls help to advice me on this.
Thank you

Deploying the application on your side (system/server) may or may not have been part of the original contract. If it was not part of the deal then you are solely responsible to test the deliverable on your side. You can do it yourself or hire someone (e.g. the same or another freelancer) to assist you.

If deploying on your end was part of the contract then you should receive that too, of course - but it's not automatically included in the terms.

prestonhunter
Community Member

Very simple tip:

Plan on this:

Once you release money to a freelancer, that money is gone forever. You will never get that money back.

If you PLAN on this, then it will help you make good decisions about planning milestones, reviewing work, paying and releasing money.

In a particular situation... is it THEORITICALLY POSSIBLE to get money back? Maybe. Maybe not. But to be safe and effective, let's not plan on it or try to do it.

Latest Articles
Learning Paths