Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Philippines Earthquake

Highlighted
Ace Contributor
Joe K Member Since: Sep 13, 2009
1 of 6
Two days ago Philippines experienced the largest earthquake in 25 years. This earthquake was centered near the city of Cebu. This is a major Metropolitan area with many call centers. Many people in central and southern Philippines are now experiencing Internet problems. Our Internet provider has informed us there was a break in some fiber connections. While our location is not cut, there is additional traffic rerouted here because of those broken connections. There are two main Internet providers here. They have invested billions in the last couple years connecting the islands with undersea fiber cables. In my area, central Philippines, both Internet providers are now overloaded. This means many foreign websites do not display or are very slow to display. There may be other areas that are affected as well.
Highlighted
Community Guru
Marissa S Member Since: Feb 6, 2008
2 of 6
Odesk will send out a notice to clients too, like what they send out whenever there's a storm. Tragic..
Highlighted
Ayesha S Member Since: Nov 22, 2009
3 of 6
Hi Marissa, Joe, The day of the earthquake we sent emails to both the contractors on the two islands affected (Cebu and Boholo) as well as their clients. Hope you are safe!
oDesk Forum Moderator Always reach for the skies, for even if you fall, you'll still be on the top of the world...
Highlighted
Ace Contributor
Francisco F Member Since: Nov 13, 2010
4 of 6
oDesk, that's a good improvement! The earthquake advisory was more location-specific within the country rather than the whole country. I hope your weather disaster advisories would be like that as well. In that manner, I don't have to deny to my clients that I was affected by a natural calamity.
Highlighted
Community Guru
Marissa S Member Since: Feb 6, 2008
5 of 6
That's awesome, thanks Smiley Wink
Highlighted
Ace Contributor
Joe K Member Since: Sep 13, 2009
6 of 6
Things are back to normal now.
TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS