🐈
» Forums » Clients » Plagiarism, and the 15 hour article
Page options
0cc5ae19
Community Member

Plagiarism, and the 15 hour article

I've just had a writer send through work that was plagiarised (structure and content), from another article.

Additionally, he claimed to have worked 15 hours straight (manual time of course) for one article.

I'm sure this has been asked before, but is it possible to dispute an invoice before it is paid? I'm just not keen to see this guy get paid.

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
yitwail
Community Member

Rhys, once the work week ends on Sunday, you have 5 days to dispute any hours billed, and in the case of manual time, you will automatically receive a refund. This article describes the process though it inexplicably omits the automatic refunds for manual time:

https://support.upwork.com/hc/en-us/articles/211062158-Dispute-an-Agency-or-Freelancer-s-Hours 

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
ArjayM

Hi Rhys,

I certainly understand your concern. We know you take time to interview and carefully consider the freelancers you contract. On our end, we also want to make sure you only pay for the hours that are spent working on your project. That’s why we created Upwork Hourly Protection. This safeguard allows you to dispute an agency or freelancer’s hours if you feel that you have been billed for more time than they worked on your project.

Don't hesitate to check this help article to be more acquainted with how the process works.

~ Arjay
Upwork
0cc5ae19
Community Member

I understand. But I need to wait to request a refund once the invoice has been issued - is that correct?

yitwail
Community Member

Rhys, once the work week ends on Sunday, you have 5 days to dispute any hours billed, and in the case of manual time, you will automatically receive a refund. This article describes the process though it inexplicably omits the automatic refunds for manual time:

https://support.upwork.com/hc/en-us/articles/211062158-Dispute-an-Agency-or-Freelancer-s-Hours 

John K wrote:

@John

It's amazing how much easier that is to understand when someone states it directly and clearly. Your response felt a lot less like a cryptic crossword clue. Thanks for taking time out of your freelancing life to offer such great support.

Hi Rhys,

John is right. Please remember that timing is critical and you have a 5-day review period to dispute the freelancer's hours. After the review period is up, the funds will be released to the freelancer and a refund may only be initiated by them when that happens.

~ AJ
Upwork

Hi Rhys,

You must file any dispute during the five days after the billing period has closed. For example, freelancers must submit their hours for the prior week to you by Sunday, at midnight UTC. You then have from Monday at noon UTC until Friday at midnight UTC to review those hours and file a dispute, if needed.

~ Joanne
Upwork
0cc5ae19
Community Member

John thank you so much, I really appreciate your simple explanation.

Latest Articles
Learning Paths