🐈 Community
jaliu

Please for the love of god...

Can someone **Edited for Community Guidelines** I've hired so many and have wasted more time than you could imagine. Each and every one had some serious issue related to ethics or reliability -- a freelancer I was about to hire, changed the "ballpark" price after much discussion the very next day by nearly 100% (not cheap projects) without explanation, and just assumed I'd work outside of upwork like he wanted. Then the person I hired a day later seemed too good to be true and I knew that I was going to be disappointed. Sure enough, the work submitted, which took awhile, had barely any changes and did not incorporate any of the notes I made. I could tell that the quality of the work was not the same as the portfolio and I just knew that I had been fooled again. This is after I tried everything I possibly could to vet the freelancer and verify that the samples provided were original work. Well, they promised a redesign and guess what... today I see the design and it is the exact same thing stolen from a theme that I know of.... and of course still without any of the changes I noted. I could not believe that they literally took the same thing and just presented it to me. They didn't even bother changing the font type!

I spent over 50 hours during this hiring process (again) -- I went through hundreds of freelancers in my filter and talked to only top or nearly top rated freelancers with hundreds to thousands of jobs completed. And they are no different from the poorly rated cheap talent on the platform. I might get whipped by upwork for saying this but they don't seem to care at all or don't have any effective way of maintaining the quality of this platform, and I have no faith in hiring here at all. 

45 REPLIES 45

"It's our policy not to share the details of our findings or subsequent actions with other users."

I love hearing this response all the time they should make it their motto.

So will i get penalized or suspended for all these cancelled contracts? I guess I'm willing to try out some more that I've already interviewed before maybe increasing the budget and increasing the likelihood of better results. Seems like finding someone capable of producing work similar to their portfolio is like finding a needle in a haystack at the lower rates.

re: "So will i get penalized or suspended for all these cancelled contracts?"

No. You will not face any kind of penalty.

Clients close contracts.

The mechanism is the same whether you close the contract after ten minutes of work or two years of work.

When you have an hourly contract with a freelancer, you can close the contract at any time. You are under no obligation to the freelancer or to Upwork to keep the contract open for any particular period of time. You can close the contract even if no time has been logged, which is the normal thing to do with a freelancer who doesn't show up to do anything after being hired.

A wise client working on a large project is likely to have many "cancelled" contracts. Which is just another word for "closed" contracts.

re: "Seems like finding someone capable of producing work similar to their portfolio is like finding a needle in a haystack at the lower rates."

I don't think this is true for all job niches. I don't think this is true of illustrators and artists and writers.

I think this is true, and a problem, with web design and web development and app development.

Yes, I agree that many web designers on Upwork post portfolio items that don't reflect their own work and abilities. I think that is what you ran into, I don't pay much attention to those portfolios.

@Jonathan L wrote:

So will i get penalized or suspended for all these cancelled contracts? I guess I'm willing to try out some more that I've already interviewed before maybe increasing the budget and increasing the likelihood of better results. Seems like finding someone capable of producing work similar to their portfolio is like finding a needle in a haystack at the lower rates.

It's the exact opposite for your case. You're looking for hay in a needlestack and if you continue to search for the cheapest workers here, you'll most likely get pricked a lot.

@Jonathan L wrote:

So will i get penalized or suspended for all these cancelled contracts?

Unless you are doing something agaisnt the TOS, probably not.

Upwork flags clients with a history of poor collaboration and their feedback doesn't count against the freelancer score.

Unfortunately, the freelancers (neither clients) can't see the number of cancelled jobs ... but if your work history/feedback reflects poor collaborations, you might have a more difficult time to attract top freelancers apply on your jobs.