🐈
» Forums » Clients » Re: Please help me with Budgets(I am new)
Page options
caa7979e
Community Member

Please help me with Budgets(I am new)

Hi,

I am new to upwork and my job is worth 30minutes but needs a feedback/update from the freelancer after 15days.

so should i choose pay per hour or fixed contract

And My budget for each $2 only per freelancer

so if I set budget i.e minimum 5$ ,though I need 5 -10 freelancers for work.

Will I have to pay each of them 5$ or i can pay them less by choose a fixed time contract.

7 REPLIES 7
g_vasilevski
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Hi Shiva,

The minimum budget for fixed price contracts is $5 and the minimum hourly rate is $3 per hour. 

You will need to have a contract with each freelancers you would like to hire, you will not be able to pay your freelancers below the minimum rates set for fixed and hourly contracts. 
If you have any additional questions feel free to post them here, thank you!

~ Goran
Upwork
resultsassoc
Community Member

Goran's response is accurate. It might be incomplete.

If I understand you correctly, you have a job that will take 30 minutes to complete. For some reason, you're not taking thirty minutes to do it. Your budget should be approximately what thirty minutes of your time is worth. Fixed price, then you don't care how many minutes the freelancer uses.

It sounds like there's a second part of the job, fifteen days later. Include both in a single fixed price job, with a budget of what you think your own time saved is worth. Two milestones then.

$2 per freelancer? It's not worth $2 to a good freelancer to read the job post.

@Bill H wrote:

If I understand you correctly, you have a job that will take 30 minutes to complete. For some reason, you're not taking thirty minutes to do it. Your budget should be approximately what thirty minutes of your time is worth.

That's a pretty shocking statement for a business advisor to make.

If I pay, just for example, my assistant approximately what the same measure of my time is worth, then if we both work 30 hours in a week, I net zero dollars. That can't possibly be what you mean to convey. In fact, once I pay for office supplies, my internet connection, etc., I have gone into the red by having someone to take administrative work off my plate so that I can focus on income-generating tasks.

To put this in a common professional context: if an attorney who bills $450/hour asks a secretary to spend an hour typing a petition for him, should he pay her $225 for that hour?

@tiffany  A counter context is, If I hire a lawyer to draft a one page contract and I type a page of text in 10 minutes. Should I pay him less than the equivalent of 10 minutes of my time.

To answer the original poster.

Every Job that I have taken up has involved hours of discussion before I accepted the contract or wrote a single line of code.
Even in cases where I recieved detailed requirement docs, there were unstated assumptions that changed the nature of project.

$2/hr will get you at best an unqualified freelancer.

Tiffany, comparing employees or regular contractors to one-off freelance projects is apples and oranges. I have regular contractors, and we agree that the value to me of the contractor's work is $xxx fixed price, or $xx per hour. If I have a specialized one-off need that I might perform myself, but would rather leave to a professional, the value of the work is the time I would have put in. That's what I endeavor to pay. My research staff is paid $25-40/hour, and, while great, there are fields in which only an expert will do. I usually find the expert myself and not on a board, and tell her that the answers to my questions are worth $xxx, because without them I cannot meet a client's needs. And, my client is paying me $yyy for the product, so my cost of this component is restrained.

If you have a regular assistant, pay him/her what the value of the product is worth.

You can not reasonably pay someone to do something today and expect them to do something 15 days later.

That is two different jobs, if this is a fixed-price contract.

So you will need to set up an hourly contract or two fixed-price contracts.

> You can not reasonably pay someone to do something today and expect them to do something 15 days later.

Whyever not ? (Assuming it's agreeable to both sides.)

Almost all of my projects have gaps in the middle (and sometimes at the sides) and adding a new milestone for the next thing has never caused any problems. 

Latest Articles
Learning Paths