Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Please stop asking me to skype!!

Ace Contributor
April L Member Since: Jun 1, 2016
1 of 52

Hi guys,

Do all of the applicants to your job posts ask to skype? 
I always post simple jobs, and lots of the applicants ask to skype without even saying hello!

Are they trying to change the terms of the contract, or do you think this is genuine and they want to discuss?
I have had misex experiences, some have been fine on skype, and others have asked for more money directly.

Would love your opinions!

Community Guru
Delwar H Member Since: Jan 30, 2015
2 of 52

From my experience: usually, clients asks for freelancer's skype to discuss the project. 

If you're not comfortable, ignore them. 

Teddy C Member Since: Jun 1, 2016
3 of 52

Hi April,

I usually do not ask for a client's skype. While a bold move, I imagine that might be too assertive, for a first time meet, for a lot of clients.

Like Delwar, I am accustomed to the client asking me to add them on skype for further discussions.

Regards,

Teddy

Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
4 of 52

April,

I totally agree. It is inappropriate for contractors to do this. It is a bad habit.

Contractors should understand that I might skip their application altogether if they do this.

Ace Contributor
5 of 52

I'm glad you agree it's strange Preston.

I do just skip their applications too, I just find it strange that out of 50 bids, 30 will start with that same sentence...

Maybe it's a cultural thing as they generally are all from India or Pakistan. I am happy to discuss and ignore being called Sir, but I think most applicants need to realise the difference between small quick jobs and larger ones that actually need a skype call initiated by the CLIENT.

Sorry for the rant Smiley Happy

Community Manager
Garnor M Community Manager Member Since: Oct 29, 2014
6 of 52

Thanks for sharing April. We generally encourage freelancers to seek out an interview with prospective clients, but really only after an introduction and as part of a detailed proposal. I appreciate you and others on this thread sharing the perspective so we can consider this as we update/modify the tips and best practice info we provide for freelancers and clients.

Ace Contributor
7 of 52

Thank you Garnor.
Another bad practice I have often noticed, is that freelancers say they will accept the contract after finishing the job (if it's a quick edit).

This initially appears quite nice and respectful, but I am noticing that it seems to be when they are actually not as confident as they appear to be, don't finish the job hours after expected, and then you can't leave them a review if it's not up to standards. 

Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
8 of 52

April: I have had exactly the same experience that you described with these job applicants sending their Skype IDs and asking for mine.

Even when I post detailed, brief job postings which include all information needed to comple the job.

The applicants send their Skype address and ask to be added to Skype. These are jobs for which absolutely no Skype conversation or interview is necessary.

If I contact them to offer them a job, their response typically includes an additional request for my Skype ID. I tell them "no Skype," and ask them to message me if they have any questions. Invariably they ARE able to complete these straightforward jobs without Skype conversations or additional instructions.

Ace Contributor
9 of 52

Preston, I'm not the only one then!
I also have lots of people just find me and add me directly on skype... I think I need to change my name on here now!

I had a job start today, but the freelancer finished the job before accepting the contract. The job wasn't done perfect, no where near a 5 star review, but it was finished... Now he has said "I m going to accept contract now and request you for 5 star rating and excellent comments"

Any comments or advice on what I should do here? I am baffled by this comment!

Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
10 of 52

@April L wrote:

Preston, I'm not the only one then!
I also have lots of people just find me and add me directly on skype... I think I need to change my name on here now!

I had a job start today, but the freelancer finished the job before accepting the contract. The job wasn't done perfect, no where near a 5 star review, but it was finished... Now he has said "I m going to accept contract now and request you for 5 star rating and excellent comments"

Any comments or advice on what I should do here? I am baffled by this comment!

lol if it's for writing or logos, you better do a lookup on it. It's probably plagiarized. 

TOP KUDOED MEMBERS