cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Please stop asking me to skype!!

Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
11 of 52

whatever you do, don't give it to them. lol they will hound you constantly until you block them.

I had to share a google doc when I was hiring for Udemy and the ones that were terrible or farming out would never go away.

Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
12 of 52

re: "I'm going to accept contract now and request you for 5 star rating and excellent comments"

This is both unprofessional AND a direct violation of Upwork ToS. A contractor can be suspended for this type of behavior.

Community Guru
Wendy C Member Since: Aug 24, 2015
13 of 52

April, this comment says it all -

"I think most applicants need to realise the difference between small quick jobs and larger ones that actually need a skype call initiated by the CLIENT."

I'm a huge fan of using Skype because I don't do one-off jobs unless they are really large ones such as write a full website or collaborate on a book.  Providers would be far smarter to include a line at the end of their proposals indicating they are amiable to a Skype conversation should the client like.

Community Leader
Charlie E Member Since: Aug 2, 2015
14 of 52

I totally avoid adding freelancers on Skype unless I intend to work with them long term. 

Most will spam the hell out of you by sending "Hello, need any work done" every few days until you delete them.

Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
15 of 52

@Charlie E wrote:

I totally avoid adding freelancers on Skype unless I intend to work with them long term. 

Most will spam the hell out of you by sending "Hello, need any work done" every few days until you delete them.

Yep. lol This is what happened to me. Don't add freelancers to Skype unless you plan to block them. It was always the farmers from the typical places too. Then if you answer them they will try to make deals after saying "No, I don't want a farmer I want to work directly with a provider." Ugh. It's terrible. 

Ace Contributor
April L Member Since: Jun 1, 2016
16 of 52

Jennifer, no it was just some quick coding edits luckily enough!

I am more careful on hiring for design projects, but was expecting his work to match his reviews. I think they must have been false reviews now thinking about it.

I mentioned in my review that he requested good feedback, still didn't give him a really bad scrore though and just got this:

"I would request you to change these comments, no client never gave me less then five stars but you."

LOL. No comment. 

Valeria K Moderator Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
17 of 52

Hi April,

Thank you for sharing your experience with us. It's very interesting and valuable. Working without an active contract and requesting perfect feedback is both unacceptable and against Upwork ToS. We'll reach out to the freelancer about that. We always encourage clients to provide honest public and private feedback because it's necessary to maintain transparent and professional marketplace. 

~ Valeria
Untitled
Ace Contributor
April L Member Since: Jun 1, 2016
18 of 52

Hi Valeria,
Thank you for your comments. I don't want him to be suspended though... :/ I'll feel bad!

I'm hoping my answers and feedback will help him understand the difference, while allowing him to continue trying to make money professionaly like everyone else...

Ace Contributor
Cathy C Member Since: Apr 17, 2016
19 of 52

When I first started here (recently) I read orientation information and forum posts.  I don't know where, but I do remember someone suggesting that you offer to have a Skype call with the client.  

It seemed awkward to me but maybe people from other cultures have read that advice and taken it to an extreme.  We take our culture for granted but others may be struggling to understand our strange ways.  

Community Guru
John K Member Since: Feb 17, 2015
20 of 52

April & Cathy,

I commend you both for showing consideration to freelancers from non-western cultures, but doing work without accepting a contract then demanding 5 star feedback is inexcusable. Also whoever ghost writes copy & paste job proposals needs to learn that requesting a client for a skype chat in a proposal is inappropriate.

Earlier I claimed including contact info in a cover letter violates TOS; thank you Natasha for correcting me. It's hard to keep up with changes sometimes. Cat Embarassed