cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Please stop asking me to skype!!

Community Guru
Natasha R Member Since: Aug 2, 2010
21 of 52

John K wrote: Also, including one's skype address or any other contact info in a proposal is a TOS violation, so if that happens it should be reported

It's not a TOS violation.

http://screencast.com/t/uPkLFb3w5tI3

This widget could not be displayed.
22 of 52
This widget could not be displayed.

@Natasha R wrote:

John K wrote: Also, including one's skype address or any other contact info in a proposal is a TOS violation, so if that happens it should be reported

It's not a TOS violation.

http://screencast.com/t/uPkLFb3w5tI3

And this is often used as a door opener to hire outside of Upwork. If you apply to job offers who ask for contact details (and often for CVs) without providing this, very often the client is not interested anymore and you have spent your connects in vain. If you continue observing their activities you can see a lot of interviews and very often no hires. Not to mention a "famous" translation consulting as a good example for this. If clients and freelancers are keen on hiring offside they will find ways to do it but I would not make it so easy for them.

PS: I already hear the outcry of some clients and freelancers...Woman Wink

Ace Contributor
April L Member Since: Jun 1, 2016
23 of 52

John,

Yes, agreed demanding 5 star feedback is inexcusable.

I don't really mind skype address being included in proposals though, if it's at the end and as an option, it's more the systematic requests to discuss even the easiest of projects that bugs me.
And even more so the proposals that ask to skype without even mentioning the job or saying hello.

I guess that shows lack of professionalism and helps everyone else who takes the time land the job though!

Community Guru
Claudia Z Member Since: Jul 28, 2015
24 of 52

"And remember, always conduct your interview via video conference (Skype and Google Hangouts are our favorites)!"

Module 3: Vetting Profiles and Interviewing Freelancers

Community Guru
John K Member Since: Feb 17, 2015
25 of 52

@Claudia Z wrote:

"And remember, always conduct your interview via video conference (Skype and Google Hangouts are our favorites)!"

Module 3: Vetting Profiles and Interviewing Freelancers

I'm very glad not every client follows that advice. Cat Very Happy

26 of 52

I've NEVER interviewed a freelancer in any form other than through the Upwork messaging system (and even then it's a very informal discussion of the job). Clearly I fail Client 101.

Community Guru
Claudia Z Member Since: Jul 28, 2015
27 of 52

@John K wrote:

I'm very glad not every client follows that advice. Cat Very Happy

Thats true but freelancers make themselves available on skype even if not asked thinking thats what clients want.

Community Guru
Sandra T Member Since: Nov 26, 2014
28 of 52

I think it has a lot to do with culture clash. Other cultures have quite different sales techniques. I don't mean to ridicule Middle Eastern culture, but this reminds me of the "come into my shop (Skype) and have some tea". Often Westerners end up feeling forced by what they perceive as rather bold sales tactics while they are probably received as just as presumptuous.

Community Guru
Wendy C Member Since: Aug 24, 2015
29 of 52

There is NEVER a need to do a video on Skype. Even screensharing is easily done without a camera.

Ace Contributor
April L Member Since: Jun 23, 2015
30 of 52

Agreed Wendy! Having everything written down makes sure it's also understood properly I find too. On Skype people tend to just agree with what I say rather than asking questions anyway!

I think it's definitely a culture clash, maybe we are just too used to everything being done quickly and efficiently, whenever needed. 

TOP KUDOED MEMBERS