Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Please stop asking me to skype!!

Community Guru
Wendy C Member Since: Aug 24, 2015
31 of 52

Margarete, I completely agree with you!

Bad - and IMO, totally stupid - move on U's part.

Community Guru
Joachim M Member Since: Mar 23, 2015
32 of 52

@April L wrote:

Hi guys,

Do all of the applicants to your job posts ask to skype? 
I always post simple jobs, and lots of the applicants ask to skype without even saying hello!

Are they trying to change the terms of the contract, or do you think this is genuine and they want to discuss?
I have had misex experiences, some have been fine on skype, and others have asked for more money directly.

Would love your opinions!

Ignore them. I experienced this when posting jobs on Elance. All of the applicants requesting to Skype were from Asia at that time.

Edward W Member Since: Apr 19, 2016
33 of 52

God forbid someone would like a better understanding of your project goals and what you do in a more intimate setting than typing responses out.

Community Guru
34 of 52

@Edward W wrote:

God forbid someone would like a better understanding of your project goals and what you do in a more intimate setting than typing responses out.

Edward,

If the job description is clear enough there should be no need to use Skype. Especially as most don't want to talk on Skype but just use the chat feature. If people want to use chat, they can also use email. I've always found chat to be extremely time consuming.

With regards to the job description, I posted four jobs last year, 2 were a translation from German into Spanish, one was about repairing some scripts in a Joomla! website and one was the creation of a logo. For the two German>Spanish translations I also added the documents and a word count. This leaves no room for clarifying questions, especially as the two translators I hired didn't have any questions, just did the job. With the scripts I added the error message I was sent from the company hosting the website and said that I need someone speaking German. I wanted the freelancer to provide his application is German to make sure he masters the language, I also posted the job description in German. So why were bunch of freelancers asking me in English to Skype, bragging about their knowledge of Joomla! and telling me in their application that they most certainly can do the job, if I just explain to them via Skype what is written in the error message (it was in German).  Time wasters! With the logo I had one company in Pakistan asking me via Elance for some more details, they then prepared a proposal clearly explaining how they would tackle the job. No need to Skype, so why were a bunch of others pestering me to Skype?

As a freelancer I've also had clients already posting in the RFP that will do an interview via Skype. In the end, it always was a chat session. All they did was asking questions I had already answered in my proposal or that were answered by reading my profile. We are talking about jobs for 30-50 dollar and chat sessions that lasted for 30 minutes and more, more than the job was worth. The last client asking for a Skype interview - it's some time ago now - I told I had no problem with it provided we actually talk and don't chat. I made it very clear that if he just wanted to do a chat I'd charge the time. Alternatively he might ask his questions by email, I'd not charge for that. 

Edward, I'm sorry but with the low prices paid here, I have to work as efficiently as possible, Skype chats are quite the opposite of efficiency.

Community Guru
Wendy C Member Since: Aug 24, 2015
35 of 52

The need to / not need to discuss a project more in-depth depends on the nature of the job and on the buyer's knowledge and ability to write a fully inclusive RFP.

Joachim's examples of translation needs are one side of the coin; the other is when the client needs creative work done but can't articulate their vision nor what they hope to acheive.

Community Guru
36 of 52

@Wendy C wrote:

The need to / not need to discuss a project more in-depth depends on the nature of the job and on the buyer's knowledge and ability to write a fully inclusive RFP.

Joachim's examples of translation needs are one side of the coin; the other is when the client needs creative work done but can't articulate their vision nor what they hope to acheive.

Wendy,

I fully agree with you here. Alas, then it really ought to be a Skype call and not a chat possibly even with screen sharing. On a more general level I believe that such clients ought to look for some local freelancer and discuss the job in person and over a cup of coffee or tea. 

Ace Contributor
April L Member Since: Jun 1, 2016
37 of 52

@Wendy C wrote:

Totally agree Wendy.

I am not refering to design jobs where discussion may be needed, but to very simple projects where everything is described, and the freelancers ask to skype without even reading the project description. 

Edward, when a job post presents a simple 10 minute job for $15 and explains everything as clearly as possible, an "intimate setting" is really not needed and rather than showing an understanding of the project, it tells me I will need to hand hold and lose time on skype when the project would already have been finished with another professional.

Community Guru
John K Member Since: Feb 17, 2015
38 of 52

Far be it from me to rule out skype interviews, but in my view this should be entirely at the discretion of the client -- even I were fond of skype, which I'm not, especially with video, I would never ask it of the client. 

39 of 52

What I really hope is that two exceptional clients such as April and Jennifer D, remain as regular contributors to the forum.

Community Guru
Jennifer D Member Since: Feb 15, 2016
40 of 52

@Nichola L wrote:

What I really hope is that two exceptional clients such as April and Jennifer D, remain as regular contributors to the forum.

I missed this whole lively debate because it was on the weekend and I had an exam to study for! But I did see this comment, thanks Nichola Smiley Happy 

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS