cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Poor quality of a job by freelancer. What should I do?

Highlighted
Community Guru
Luce N Member Since: Oct 9, 2016
21 of 26

@Prashant P wrote:

@Luce N wrote:

@Prashant P wrote:

Actually, it is not that bad if i just want spend a buck or two for a 10 page translation.

How do you know Google translate is not that bad?

Well some of the non English websites i visit on Chrome.  it has that thing that asks me do you want to translate this page?  And does the translation for me and I can read/understand the page.   

OK, but to me the fact that you understand a text doesn't mean the translation is good. I'm good at guessing what people who don't master one of the languages I speak mean, this doesn't mean what they are saying is in an excellent use of that language....

Highlighted
Community Guru
Rene K Member Since: Jul 10, 2014
22 of 26

@Prashant P wrote:

Well some of the non English websites i visit on Chrome.  it has that thing that asks me do you want to translate this page?  And does the translation for me and I can read/understand the page.   

Which means that the translation may be accurate, even though you can't really tell if you can't read the source language, but machine translation may be accurate. It doesn't mean it is good in the sense it would be usable in business, because very often it is very awkward to read.

-----------
"Where darkness shines like dazzling light"   —William Ashbless
Highlighted
Community Guru
Prashant P Member Since: Sep 29, 2015
23 of 26

@Rene K wrote:

@Prashant P wrote:

Which means that the translation may be accurate, even though you can't really tell if you can't read the source language, but machine translation may be accurate. It doesn't mean it is good in the sense it would be usable in business, because very often it is very awkward to read.

Good point and I understand that Rene.  The point I was trying to make is that if I am going to pay $1 for a 10 page translation, Google translation is not bad.  If I was going to Pay $40/hr to Petra the quality would be superb.

Stil in general Natural Language Processing(inference/translation....) has advanced way beyond the early stages where all they did was matched the words from disctionary.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Rene K Member Since: Jul 10, 2014
24 of 26

@Prashant P wrote:

> The point I was trying to make is that if I am going to pay $1 for a 10 page translation, Google translation is not bad.  

Absolutely. But only if you knew upfront that you will receive a machine translation. If the translator promises Petra-level translation and they just use a machine translator, you are being scammed.

> Stil in general Natural Language Processing(inference/translation....) has advanced way beyond the early stages where all they did was matched the words from disctionary.

Depends on the language pair. Works nice in English to French with short sentences, but not that much in other languages. It is not usable out of the box, but translators can use it as pre-translation and focus on post machine translation editing (PMTE). Which may or may not be an efficient method, depending on what you are translating. A time saver for technical translations, not that much for literature and marketing.

-----------
"Where darkness shines like dazzling light"   —William Ashbless
Highlighted
Community Guru
Prashant P Member Since: Sep 29, 2015
25 of 26

@Rene K wrote:

> Stil in general Natural Language Processing(inference/translation....) has advanced way beyond the early stages where all they did was matched the words from disctionary.

Depends on the language pair. Works nice in English to French with short sentences, but not that much in other languages. It is not usable out of the box, but translators can use it as pre-translation and focus on post machine translation editing (PMTE). Which may or may not be an efficient method, depending on what you are translating. A time saver for technical translations, not that much for literature and marketing.

Agree again.  Even for technical translation it may be good to get general 'feel' for the article, but if I were to write step-by-step instructions for something it may not be as good.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
26 of 26

@Rene K wrote:

@Sergey G wrote:

Write feedback to freelancer, waited for one day, received no answer, closed the contract without payment, waiting for reaction.

Beware, if the milestone was founded, it'll auto release. You may want to dispute it. Not all of it otherwise the feedback won't display on their profile.

No, that is not how it works. Sergey closed the contract and asked for his Escrow funds back. This means there is no auto-release and unless the freelancer disputes the return of the Escrow fee, the money goes back to Sergey's Payment method automatically after 7 days.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS