cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Poor quality work

kevngash
Kevin N Member Since: Jan 23, 2017
1 of 48

Hi Community! So I gave some work to a freelancer and he delivered very low quality work. Now I feel like I am being swindled because he claims In a dispute that he wants full compensation? His work was so bad yet he wants compensation for that. Is that how upwork work with clients? Please guide me on this, as I believe arbitration will be the last resort as I cannot pay for the kind of work he delivered. Please guide me on the steps and payment for arbitration! 

PS I have attached a file of what he calls  "good work". It is supposed to be a self help book but he gave me a comic book cover that has been done very poorly!

tlsanders
Community Guru
Tiffany S Member Since: Jan 15, 2016
2 of 48

Kevin, how much money is in dispute? Are you aware that arbitration requires a non-refundable $291 fee from each party?

kevngash
3 of 48

Hi Tifanny, the amount in dispute is 75$. But I am willing to go the arbitration way because the freelancer has categorically said he has to be paid. His work was very bad!

tlsanders
Community Guru
4 of 48

Hm...you paid $75 for a book cover?

Sounds like you got what you paid for, but chances are that you will win and get your money back if you do pay for arbitration--if the freelancer doesn't pay his $291, you automatically win and the money is refunded because there was no need to hire the arbitrator.

I'd think seriously about whether or not this is worth fighting, though. Someone who would create a book cover for $75 is obviously very desperate for money, and whether or not the final product was what you were looking for, he did put in the time. If I were in your shoes, I would probably pay him and cut my losses, or at least offer half. It's not really surprising that he's insisting on payment, as it's beyond imagination that anyone would take on that job for $75 unless his survival depended upon it. That's probably his week's groceries you're fighting over there.

Anything about good karma, charitable intentions, choosing your battles, etc. in your self-help book?

kevngash
5 of 48

I think I am willing to pay for arbitration, becuse It is all about ethics. Just taking random contracts and working them poorly just because you worked is bad for freelancing. 

tlsanders
Community Guru
6 of 48

I think you have an odd view of ethics.

I'm all for fighting the good fight even if it means losing money when someone is being dishonest or preying on someone weaker or whatever. But, when a low-end freelancer does low-end work because you chose to shop at the Dollar Store instead of Nordstrom (or even Target), it hardly seems fair to decide to pull out the big guns and go all out fighting someone who made an investment in trying to deliver for you.

I kind of want to give the guy $75 just because your attitude is giving me such a dismal view of humanity. You obviously feel like the victim, but if you can afford $291 just to crush a guy who needs $75 desperately enough to do a job that should have cost several times that and you think the right answer is to take food off his table to prove a point...well, I think we just don't have enough common ground to have a productive conversation.

I'm fascinated as hell to read what kind of "self help" advice you have to offer, though. Something along the lines of Machiavelli, perhaps?

bobafett999
Community Guru
Prashant P Member Since: Sep 29, 2015
BEST ANSWER
7 of 48

I am sure some expert will give you advice on your options.

But, let me tell you some facts.

1. You get what you pay for.  Lowest rate = Lowest quality.

2. Buying stuff from Upwork is not like sticking 50 cents in a soda machine and expect the machine to deliver you a can of coke.

3. Instead buying stuff from Upwork is like (I believe Tom Hanks said it in one of his movies) buying a box of chocolate.  You never know what you will get.

Kevin I am editing this after I saw Tiffany's advice.  Take it. 

$75 in over all scheme of things is not a huge amount. May be you can spin it your way in your self-help book.  Forgive snd forget.

View solution in original post

kevngash
8 of 48

What would you do in this case, or how have such kind of problems handled?

financemark
Community Guru
Mark K Member Since: Jul 7, 2016
9 of 48

At this point of the discussion, you have probably spend more $ in discussing this "problem of you own making" than you spent on the **Edited for Community Guidelines**  freelancer. 

**Edited for Community Guidelines** --- move on mate.

kevngash
10 of 48

I understand mate. So I give the guy my money then I go and invest again double the amount, and he walks away for practically sketching. The work was just sketches and I kept trying to get my vision across to him before the real work starts. I cancelled it at sketches. If you were in my position would you pay for some very bad sketches?

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS