Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Poor quality work

tlsanders
Community Guru
Tiffany S Member Since: Jan 15, 2016
11 of 48

Well, your story has changed somewhat. If it was only the sketching stage, I'd probably offer to pay half. 

I can't really say what I would do "in your position," though, because I can't quite work out what that position is. I'm unable to put myself in the shoes of someone who is charging $15 to design a book cover and then paying someone else $75 to design a book cover.

kevngash
Kevin N Member Since: Jan 23, 2017
12 of 48

I understand completely. If you check out again the 15$ are from return clients who gave me work when i started out. Although most are easy but very well done designs You can go through my reviews and check for any anomalies that you think may lead tto questioning my character. It is my way of saying thank you those who gave me the chance when I was new on the platform. They deliver a lot of work too so it is an agreement. The problem here is quality, and bearing in mind my extensive knowledge about design, I found out that he was just polishing his bad work with well crafted apologies to make changes. Changes which were not in anyway making the sketches look different. 

My willingness to go to arbitration is because he knows the work was bad and he misrepresented his ability to carry out the project. Yet you all side with him that I should pay just because he sent me a jpeg file with a bunch of text around it.

Sitting at my desk, looking at these terrible sketches that were supposed to be a book cover delivered 2 weeks ago, you cannot blame me for feeling hurt and burnt. 

$291 looks like a fair price for me to know and understand why I have to pay for the kind of work I received. If it goes his way after that then I accept the outcome, if not then I will agree and move on with my existence!

r2streu
Community Guru
Randall S Member Since: Mar 20, 2017
13 of 48

Okay, so if I understand correclty what you're saying, the freelancer sent you preliminary sketches for the work to be done. As you say yourself, this is the "ideas" stage more or less, before the real work is done. 

That being the case, you of course do NOT owe for a completed job, as he never completed the job. However, he DID do some work on the job before you fired him. I would pay out a portion for the work he did -- not for the quality, but for the time he put into it -- and explain the full payout was for the FINISHED PRODUCT, which he did not, and will not (because you're cancelling the project) provide. I'd say if a finished cover is worth $75 (no judgement here, but I'll echo that you get what you pay for), preliminary sketches are worth, say, $20?

Regardless of how you handle THIS situation, in the future, allow me to offer this advice:
If you're planning on having the freelancer turn in sketches before the real work starts, create a milestone for him or her to do so. It's against Upwork policy to demand free work. Make it 20 bucks or so. After that, you can choose to continue working with the client, or stop the work there, no harm done -- and THEY don't have anything to dispute, because you've effectively managed expectations up front.

Create a SECOND milestone for the finished product. 

kevngash
14 of 48

Thank you Randy. Now this is advice people!!! 

tlsanders
Community Guru
15 of 48

So, wait.

I just looked at your profile, and I'm super-confused.

You're selling book cover design services, so were you farming out this job? It seems unlikely that you are a book cover designer who just happened to write a book and decided to have a stranger on Upwork do your book cover design for you.

No surprise you're all up in arms, if you farmed out work and didn't get a product you can sell to the client. But, that's the risk you take when you lowball. 

Interesting that you're paying him $75, though, when it looks like you're doing a bunch of cover designs yourself for $15.

Curiouser and curiouser.

One thing to factor into the arbitration question...Upwork frowns on undisclosed subcontracting.

kevngash
16 of 48

So you went from zero to judgmental all at once?  Ethics is telling someone I cannot deliver on your vision but I can do so and so. I had even agreed to increase the fees for the work if he would promise to give better quality. He then goes and removes a circle on the cover and comes asking for more. I am not crushing anyone here, I am just totally pissed off that you can allow such kind of malicious contracts from clients. I have been scammed a coupke of times and I am totally tired of it. Take a look at the covers which have no color no art direction etc. You claim 75$ is little, go to the upwork cover design job feed tell me how many covers even come close to 50$. That is the criteria I used in giving the work?

tlsanders
Community Guru
17 of 48

I don't claim it's little, I know it. I don't need to survey Upwork contracts to know how much it costs to get a quality book cover--I own a small publishing company. The least I've ever paid for a book cover was $250, and that was a very quick job by a long-time friend who cut me a significant break because the book was a fundraiser for charity.

All that said...you haven't answered the really important question here. Why are you designing book covers yourself for $15 and paying someone else $75 to do it?

kevngash
18 of 48

I am not at all here to exchange words, I just need to understand  why very bad work should be compensated. Then what stops me from making a living through delivering bad work and following through with a dispute knowing you will just tell the client to pay and move on because it is cheaper than arbitration? 

I really do not understand your criteria but I will just follow up with upwork support

Regards 

Kevin N.

boshoffirene
Community Guru
Irene B Member Since: Feb 17, 2015
19 of 48

lolz...farming out the $75 job in progress?

kevngash
20 of 48

Hello. What do you mean by farming out, I really don't understand. Plus I do not have any open contracts or do you mean the one I have with the freelancer. I am really trying here to not be rude but jumping to conclusions is quite literally a very extravagant position for anyone trying to seek help here. 

I am seeking guidance and all I am getting a people bombarding me with baseless accusations. I believe you can access the so called contract examine it with proper keeness then come and "LOLZ" again. 

I am just a bloody pissed client who got a very bad product, can you not just see that!!!! 

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS