Reply
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Reply

Poor quality work

petra_r
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
31 of 48

@Prashant P wrote:

Nope:  Freelancing is gambling on slot machine - most of the time you will lose (at least that is true for me on Upwork as well as casinos).


 Prashant, I really could not disagree more. I wonder if it is an attitude issue.

I see every new client as an opportunity to shine and a potential new long term business partner. I usually adore my clients and (mostly Smiley Wink ) they adore me.

You seem to see clients as adversaries and as your enemies, only out to get you..

Clients are real flesh and blood human beings, just like you and me. I personally fiind that connecting with them on that level makes all the difference.

 

That said, a book cover for $ 75?

 

I don't design for a living, playing with design is purely a hobby. I once created a cover just for fun and to show an existing client my idea for her cover. She hired me to finish it and paid me $ 300.

For $ 75, if the OP got anything beyond mere scribbles, it was adequate.

 

 

bobafett999
Community Guru
Prashant P Member Since: Sep 29, 2015
32 of 48

@Petra R wrote:

@Prashant P wrote:

 


 Prashant, I really could not disagree more. I wonder if it is an attitude issue.

I see every new client as an opportunity to shine and a potential new long term business partner. I usually adore my clients and (mostly Smiley Wink ) they adore me.

You seem to see clients as adversaries and as your enemies, only out to get you..

Clients are real flesh and blood human beings, just like you and me. I personally fiind that connecting with them on that level makes all the difference.

 

I don't design for a living, playing with design is purely a hobby.


Yes Petra.  It may be an attitude. But when you are in business as a hobby, you can afford to have an attitude.  I mentioned in other thread.  I do not have the skill set to connect - my wife does. 

 

I am very happy for you though.

 

I saw your design scribble in your video and was impressed. 

 

But it is very true about me and casino.  I love going to casino 3-4 times a year and I have NEVER won.  Best I have done is break even, but I also do not lose much either.

versailles
Community Guru
Rene K Member Since: Jul 10, 2014
33 of 48

@Prashant P wrote:

Yes Petra.  It may be an attitude. But when you are in business as a hobby, you can afford to have an attitude. 

 


Funny, I would say that when you're serious about business you cannot afford a negative attitude, because it impedes your chances of success.

 

Like many, you seem to have such a negative approach of life, or at least of the business part of life. This is a strong attractor for failure. And if you think that business is merely a casino game, it means that you don't understand it a bit. Unlike casino, in business the 20/80 rule applies. A mere 20% of players, always the same ones, are winning 80% of the jobs. And they don't count on luck nor see each client as an enemy.

-----------
"Where darkness shines like dazzling light"   —William Ashbless
bobafett999
Community Guru
Prashant P Member Since: Sep 29, 2015
34 of 48

@Rene K wrote:

Like many, you seem to have such a negative approach of life, or at least of the business part of life. This is a strong attractor for failure. And if you think that business is merely a casino game, it means that you don't understand it a bit. Unlike casino, in business the 20/80 rule applies. A mere 20% of players, always the same ones, are winning 80% of the jobs. And they don't count on luck nor see each client as an enemy.


 Not really Rene.  I am a data driven person.  I don't know what you do or what your hit rate on Upwork is, but let me tell you the space I operate.  First of all it is a very crowded space - crowded by freelancers and infested by cheapo clients - most of them I suspect are farmers.  90% of the postings I see are getting a website for $50-$100-$125 (This is the posting about an hour ago "

**Edited for Community Guidelines** for $50 for an intermediate level.

Even if I get those gigs I do not want to work on them.  Copy, pasting images and text is not what I am looking for in my hobby.  I am looking for people who are willing to pay for elegance.  On Upwork it has been my experience that those people do not exist or are rare. Most clients on Upwork I see are "ordering 500 word blog post" for $10.  Insert this script or that for $15.  **Edited for Community Guidelines** see some things on other websites and want it recreated on theirs. Create 50 web landing pages for a total price of $150.

 

So Rene tell me what would excite you with the above picture. 

reinierb
Community Guru
Reinier B Member Since: Nov 3, 2015
35 of 48

@Prashant P wrote:

@Rene K wrote:

Like many, you seem to have such a negative approach of life, or at least of the business part of life. This is a strong attractor for failure. And if you think that business is merely a casino game, it means that you don't understand it a bit. Unlike casino, in business the 20/80 rule applies. A mere 20% of players, always the same ones, are winning 80% of the jobs. And they don't count on luck nor see each client as an enemy.


 Not really Rene.  I am a data driven person.  I don't know what you do or what your hit rate on Upwork is, but let me tell you the space I operate.  First of all it is a very crowded space - crowded by freelancers and infested by cheapo clients - most of them I suspect are farmers.  90% of the postings I see are getting a website for $50-$100-$125 (This is the posting about an hour ago "

Create a weebly blog website in three days!! for $50 for an intermediate level.

Even if I get those gigs I do not want to work on them.  Copy, pasting images and text is not what I am looking for in my hobby.  I am looking for people who are willing to pay for elegance.  On Upwork it has been my experience that those people do not exist or are rare. Most clients on Upwork I see are "ordering 500 word blog post" for $10.  Insert this script or that for $15.  The idiots see some things on other websites and want it recreated on theirs. Create 50 web landing pages for a total price of $150.

 

So Rene tell me what would excite you with the above picture. 


 Why do you remain in the space you hate so much? Why don't you just move on to something else? 

tlsanders
Community Guru
Tiffany S Member Since: Jan 15, 2016
36 of 48


@Prashant P wrote:


 Not really Rene.  I am a data driven person.  I don't know what you do or what your hit rate on Upwork is, but let me tell you the space I operate.  First of all it is a very crowded space - crowded by freelancers and infested by cheapo clients - most of them I suspect are farmers.  90% of the postings I see are getting a website for $50-$100-$125

 

Almost everyone in the forums who is unhappy with Upwork has made a similar statement at some point, regardless or the field/niche in which they offer services. If in fact 10% of the jobs you see posted in your arena are worth considering, then you are probably in the best possible area on Upwork. I definitely don't see one decent job in ten. I doubt that I see one decent job in 20.

 

The thing is, it doesn't matter at all. If I see 10 good jobs in a month and 2,768 bad ones, and I bid on the 10 good ones and get hired on three of them, that's more than enough. It makes no difference to me whether 1 in 2 or 1 in 100 or 1 in 786,000 is a good job. The good ones are all that matters.

e_luneborg
Community Guru
Eve L Member Since: Feb 17, 2017
37 of 48

@Tiffany S wrote:


@Prashant P wrote:


 Not really Rene.  I am a data driven person.  I don't know what you do or what your hit rate on Upwork is, but let me tell you the space I operate.  First of all it is a very crowded space - crowded by freelancers and infested by cheapo clients - most of them I suspect are farmers.  90% of the postings I see are getting a website for $50-$100-$125

 

Almost everyone in the forums who is unhappy with Upwork has made a similar statement at some point, regardless or the field/niche in which they offer services. If in fact 10% of the jobs you see posted in your arena are worth considering, then you are probably in the best possible area on Upwork. I definitely don't see one decent job in ten. I doubt that I see one decent job in 20.

 

The thing is, it doesn't matter at all. If I see 10 good jobs in a month and 2,768 bad ones, and I bid on the 10 good ones and get hired on three of them, that's more than enough. It makes no difference to me whether 1 in 2 or 1 in 100 or 1 in 786,000 is a good job. The good ones are all that matters.


 So true. I've only applied to 5 jobs the last 90 days, and I got 4 of them. All other jobs and invites I just ignore/decline and wait for something better to come along.

 

Then again some freelancers don't have that luxury. I, and probably you Tiffany, can do this as we have enough work to keep us busy anyway. We don't need to take on all kinds of work to be able to pay our bills and put food on the table. So I understand why some freelancers can't be that picky, but getting to a place where we get to be that picky isn't easy. It takes a lot of work and dedication, at least it did for me. 

 

So then I'm back to the strategy part of freelancing. You have to set a goal and have a plan for how to get there. Just doing random stuff and hope for the best is usually not the best strategy.

________________________
Freelancing is a gamble - To win you need skill, luck and a strategy
e_luneborg
Community Guru
Eve L Member Since: Feb 17, 2017
38 of 48

@Rene K wrote:

@Prashant P wrote:

Yes Petra.  It may be an attitude. But when you are in business as a hobby, you can afford to have an attitude. 

 


Funny, I would say that when you're serious about business you cannot afford a negative attitude, because it impedes your chances of success.

 

Like many, you seem to have such a negative approach of life, or at least of the business part of life. This is a strong attractor for failure. And if you think that business is merely a casino game, it means that you don't understand it a bit. Unlike casino, in business the 20/80 rule applies. A mere 20% of players, always the same ones, are winning 80% of the jobs. And they don't count on luck nor see each client as an enemy.


 When it comes to poker there is in fact just 5% of the players that doesn't lose in the long run. Only about 1% actually walk away with a win. And this is like freelancing, because this is not just a game about luck, but also about skill. Even with skills you can get into a bad run, where it just doesn't work out even if the odds are in your favour. So if you have the skills you just have to push through these rough patches, and you'll come out on top if you just hang in there. Just as in freelancing.

________________________
Freelancing is a gamble - To win you need skill, luck and a strategy
e_luneborg
Community Guru
Eve L Member Since: Feb 17, 2017
39 of 48

Prashant P wrote: 

But it is very true about me and casino.  I love going to casino 3-4 times a year and I have NEVER won.  Best I have done is break even, but I also do not lose much either.


 Casino stuff is what I do, and I'm pretty sure the statement above is not true. You might think it is, but in reality it's not.

 

In fact most players win quite a lot, the problem is that they gamble away their winnings in persuit of an even bigger win. The clue to gambling on slots, table games or whatever is to know when to walk away. 

 

I could give you some strategies for this, but then you'll have to hire me at my hourly rate. But I'll give you one advice for free. Stop playing at casinos, and rather write about casinos. For me that is both my stratey and my skill, and the only way I'm guaranteed a win every time. Smiley Happy

________________________
Freelancing is a gamble - To win you need skill, luck and a strategy
bobafett999
Community Guru
Prashant P Member Since: Sep 29, 2015
40 of 48

@Eve L wrote:



 Casino stuff is what I do, and I'm pretty sure the statement above is not true. You might think it is, but in reality it's not.

 

In fact most players win quite a lot, the problem is that they gamble away their winnings in persuit of an even bigger win. The clue to gambling on slots, table games or whatever is to know when to walk away. 

 

I could give you some strategies for this, but then you'll have to hire me at my hourly rate. But I'll give you one advice for free. Stop playing at casinos, and rather write about casinos. For me that is both my stratey and my skill, and the only way I'm guaranteed a win every time. Smiley Happy


@ @Eve:  Thanks a lot for your offer to teach me, but I can't afford your rate.

 

Yes what you say about winning on slot machine has some truth to it.  A good friend of mine is a Slot Director in a casino, and he says the same thing (he doesn't gamble at all).  According to him Time is their best friend.  More time I spend on machines is a good for him.  They give away free rooms and other stuff just for that purpose.  I might have weird math, but I go to casinos to have good time.  I go to be entertained, and I believe entertainment costs money.  For me the rooms are free, food is free, drinks could be free but I don't drink and once in a while they give away free stuff that is semi useful.

 

You wrote,"The clue to gambling on slots, table games or whatever is to know when to walk away.:

 

Well that only works if you live short distance away.  During my visits I have met few people who play on very high volatality machines at max bet.  They just keep feeding the machines and when and if they hit, they just walk away (or walk away when they are broke).  BTW I love Aristrocat machines.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS