🐈
» Forums » Clients » Re: Cant find anyone to communicate with!!
Page options
474fc4f6
Community Member

Poor work quality, milestones not delivered

Hello 

I have been having a problem with the freelancer I am working with

I was unforutnately unaware of the manual hours policy and feel ripped off. 

The freelancer has input ALL their hours as manual and overcharged for the work.

Additionally I the website is very slow, ranks very low in terms of website grading and is not optimized for mobile.

There are many things that I was expecting the freelancer to be able to do such as integrating the payment gateway and now that we are knees deep into the project the freelancer said that they wont be able to do the task because "they have never done this before"!

. They have taken on alot of the deliverables that they dont seem to know how to do and I have been charged over $700 for a poor quality website when I was expecting to pay approximately half of that price.

My main issue is that we are way past the deadline and have lost a significant amount of money doing so. I would like to launch the website ASAP but cannot because we arent able to finalize the website and its quality.I have attempted to communicate my concerns to the freelancer with no use. 

I would like someone from upwork to review the hours with the quality of work and I cant seem to be able to get a hold of anybody; I have done a dispute and unfortunately its very difficult for me to communicate with the freelancer. 

6 REPLIES 6
yitwail
Community Member

Majda, I'm not an Upwork moderator, so this is just my personal advice, but you should pause the contract immediately so no more time can be charged, and next week you can dispute any manual hours that were charged this week. However, Upwork's policy for hourly jobs is that hours can only be disputed during the first 5 days following a work week, so unless Upwork makes an exception or the freelancer agrees to refund you, you probably will not receive a refund for work charged prior to this week.

I have been trying to find an email for customer support as I have several big issues with the project I am working on and further more my account has been suspended despite not having anymore amounts on hold. 

The only way I can reach the support is by placing an international call, and it was difficult to dig out that number as well. Today I couldnt find anyone to connect with, perhaps its because its a sunday. 

I need somone to communicate with ASAP with regards to the contract we have with a freelancer and the account being suspended. This is completely unprofessional on upwork's behalf. I was new to upwork and didnt realize that manual hours werent qualified for hours-pay protection and the freelancer used this unfairly and overcharged us.

The times that I did connect to someone from the customer support they basically told me that there isnt much to be done from their end and to go back to the freelancer; who  responds in 2 days or so right now and is not giving me what I am asking for exactly. 

The needs to be an efficient way to support clients on the platform! 

It is not fair for a client to be overcharged, late on deadlines and then recive poor quality work and not be able to ask for someone to review it. 

The freelancer has informed me recently that they are unable to deliver some of them milestones after we have already been charged for and paid for them as well. The website is poor quality in terms of ranking, security, speed and even user experience and design. 

surely there is someone who can support with this and cross check the hours and the website quality? 

re: "I have been trying to find an email for customer support..."

It is NOT Upwork's intention that you communicate with Customer Support personnel via email.

re: "The only way I can reach the support is by placing an international call, and it was difficult to dig out that number as well."

Sometimes phone support is available. But the availability of this is based on many factors and can be quite unpredictable. Frankly, it is not Upwork's preference that any users try to communicate with Support by phone.

The most likely ways to get support are here in the Community Forum, through Help Desk tickets, and through live chat.

Hi Majda,

I'm sorry to hear about your experience with the freelancer. I've shared your concern with the team and one of our agents will be reaching out to you directly via a support ticket to assist you further. 

~ Luiggi
Upwork

Majda:

I read your posts, in which you describe your current concerns.

You described a mix of things, including some that do NOT require help from Upwork Customer Support.

You already have all the tools you need at your disposal to address problems with the work done by a freelancer.

You just need to learn more about how to use the Upwork system more effectively.

An important thing to understand is that Upwork doesn't create websites for clients. Your frustrations with the quality of work being done by a freelancer you hired are valid. But Upwork is not going to do anything about your website. You need to hire other freelancers who are a better fit for your project. And you need to stop paying money to underperforming freelancers.

This is a project management issue. Not an Upwork issue. Upwork allows clients a way to find, hire, and pay freelancers. Based on your post, all Upwork functionality is working as intended. You will benefit from learning more about how Upwork works.

You appear to believe that you may be able to get a refund. It is quite possible that you will not be able to get any refund whatsoever, or that you will be able to receive only a partial refund. As I often point out: refund thinking hurts clients.

If you end up not being able to get any refund, you certainly would have been better off if you had proactively monitored the freelancer's work and stopped paying the freelancer... rather than paid the freelancer money with a plan to try to get money back if things don't work out.

An account suspension is the one thing you described that appears to require work with Customer Support. Everything else you described can by handled directly by yourself. If you have questions about how to handle these issues, such as with a freelancer or your project, you may post questions and get help right here in this thread.

prestonhunter
Community Member

re: "I would like someone from upwork to review the hours with the quality of work"

re: "surely there is someone who can support with this and cross check the hours and the website quality?"

This is not something that Upwork does.

But it IS possible to hire freelancers on Upwork and pay them to review the quality of a website.

You would not be able to get any money back based on an assessment of the quality of the website. But you would be armed with additional information. Such an assessment may put your mind at ease about the work that you have paid for so far. Such an assessment may alternatively help you identify parts of your website that you wish to replace or improve upon.

re: "It is not fair for a client to be overcharged, late on deadlines and then receive poor quality work and not be able to ask for someone to review it."

Upwork does not review the quality of work provided by freelancers. You may indeed regard this as unfair. The important thing is that you understand what services Upwork does and does not provide.

Upwork is never going to look at the work provided by a freelancer and compare it to the hours they spent on the work and come to a determination that the client was or was not overcrowded.

As a client, you may be happy to know that there IS something Upwork WILL do, and that is something that will work to your advantage:

You said that the freelancer used manual time, correct?
If you dispute manual time during the five days after the end of the work week, Upwork will remove all of the manually logged time, and you won't need to pay for it. The number of hours and the quality doesn't even matter. Upwork simply removes all time that doesn't qualify for Upwork Payment Protection, and that includes all manually-logged time.

Latest Articles
Learning Paths