cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Portfolio

c16555e2
Scott F Member Since: Jan 16, 2019
1 of 11

Why no portfolios?   I see so many artists and designers that have a  good summary but no portfolio.

I can't imagine hiring someone without seeing their work. 

If you don't have a portfolio that is probably why you don't get work.

Cheers, Scott

lysis10
Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
BEST ANSWER
2 of 11

yep, a designer with no portfolio is what they call "doinitrong" in my country.

View solution in original post

rolludesig
Community Guru
Rahul V Member Since: Nov 23, 2015
3 of 11

i guess many have thier websites/portfolio url's in the summary

yitwail
Community Guru
John K Member Since: Feb 17, 2015
4 of 11

OTOH, they’re honest enough not to have a fake portfolio Cat Wink

5 of 11

That doesn't make sense to me.  I mean, who would buy a car without seeing it.    If you haven't been hired to do the work then do a mock-ups of imagined projects based on your skill set.

c16555e2
6 of 11

One would hope but that is not the case.

prestonhunter
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
7 of 11

There isn't really anything to discuss. Now you know that there are some freelance artists and graphic designers set up profiles here, but who aren't serious about working on Upwork.

As a client I have posted dozens of jobs for artists and graphic designers. Obviously I just ignore the proposals from people without portfolios.

kfarnell
Community Guru
Kim F Member Since: Aug 26, 2015
8 of 11

Some people get tired of having their work stolen and instead forward either links or relevant samples when bidding.

mtngigi
Community Guru
Virginia F Member Since: Feb 15, 2016
9 of 11

Scott F wrote:

Why no portfolios?   I see so many artists and designers that have a  good summary but no portfolio.

I can't imagine hiring someone without seeing their work. 

If you don't have a portfolio that is probably why you don't get work.

Cheers, Scott

If you look carefully at those profiles, you may see that some include links to their own websites - something they're not supposed to do if there is a way to contact them from those sites. Others don't understand the importance of making it easier for clients to make their hiring decisions. I would venture to guess that many attach relevant samples to their bids and hope that makes up for no portfolio.

wbouchard
Wendy B Member Since: Apr 18, 2016
10 of 11

I am an Instructional Designer and I have copies of most of the projects I have completed, however, I have also signed agreements with my clients to not distribute proprieatary programs. As a result I always explain this and state I would be happy to share at an interview. It is tough but I signed a document and I refuse to go against that. If a hiring manager does not respect that, then I am not sure I want to work there!

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS