🐈
» Forums » Clients » Post a Job Wizard awkwardness
Page options
devlabsus
Community Member

Post a Job Wizard awkwardness

I should start by saying I liked watching Upwork grow over the years, and the UX has definitely come a long way. I just want to mention a few things that seem awkward to me. Perhaps I am missing something; otherwise consider this some friendly criticism:

When posting a job, on step 1 of the Post a Job Wizard, we are asked "Enter the name of your job post". Ok, WHY is this a multi-line text box? This is just wrong. Are you noticing what is happening? People are typing their entire job description into this box, thinking that you are asking them to describe their job. This is a basic UX blunder. You're presenting us with a multi-line text box when all you really want is a one-line job description. I beg you to fix this. It probably causes no issues and for all I know, it irritates no one but me but I can't help but cringe every time I see it.

Next issue (a lot less irritating): On step 4 of the Post a Job Wizard, we are asked "Which of the following best describes your project?". I am presented with a short list of radio button choices. 9 times out of 10 NONE of the choices you suggest are correct. 9 times out of 10 I have to click "Other" and then type somethng in. I'd rather you give me a more complete list than make me type something in. Consistently prompting users to manually enter something that you would probably want to capture as some sort of metric smells like trouble. Imagine all the possible things we could type into this box - the variations, the typos, the nonsense text.

OK and final issue ... I think on that same page there is a section labeled "Screening Questions". I can select "Select from suggested or previous". When I select that, I can see a looooooong list of my previous questions. The reason this list is so long is because so many of them are duplicated. One of my questions appears in the list 9 times. Actually, 12 times but 9 of those 12 are typed exactly the same and so I see no reason why you couldn't just dedupe this list before displaying it. Actually, I already know there would be some considerable effort into doing this on the back end, but it sure would make for a nicer experience. But hey - if I had to beg you to fix one thing, it would be the blunder on step 1.

1 REPLY 1
JoanneP

Hi Eric,

Thank you for your feedback. I'll share this with the team for consideration. 

~ Joanne
Upwork
Latest Articles
Learning Paths