cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Posting a Ongoing Job

Terry R Member Since: Sep 22, 2015
1 of 20

I have a job I need to post and looking for other sugestions I might consider on how to post and or pay for the work done.

The job will consist of putting a background on another photo to post on ebay. This will consist of thousands of photos. I was looking at paying per 1000 or 500 completed.

I have always posted fixed rate so I do not have to worry or watch over a shoulder for hourly work. The work would be ongoing as I have no time frame on an end.

What do you pay for something like this?

It will consist of

1. Take photos from our ebay site
  2. Add graphic to the photo
  3. Upload to photo hosting site and to our program (which will add it back to our listing).

Attached photo shows the graphic added

Thanks

Terry

Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
2 of 20

I think that's the kind of job that is perfectly suited to a fixed rate contract with milestones.

Your milestones can be the 500 or 1000 photos you mention.

You could post the job and make it plain that it's ongoing work, and that you'll set up milestones based on 500 or 1000 photos each (I think 500 is fairer than 1000, so the freelancer you hire gets a nice regular stream of income going.)

Once you've decided on the person you want you can set up the first milestone - once you have the first 500 you release the milestone and set up the next and so on. You can continue indefinitely with that....

3 of 20

It looks like I should reply to each message?

Since I am not experienced and not posted many jobs I was wondering how to arrange the intervals, forgot about milestones, that would work. I agree, 500 seems like a better number.

I need to see how I can keep track of how many they do. The photos will be uploaded to a hosting site, Imgur, photobucket.

Community Guru
Darrin O Member Since: Jan 20, 2015
4 of 20

@Terry R wrote:

The job will consist of putting a background on another photo to post on ebay. This will consist of thousands of photos. I was looking at paying per 1000 or 500 completed.

Who are you looking to pay?  What you describe sounds like a scriptable operation.  Instead of treating this like piecework for a graphic designer, consider looking for a developer to write the code to do it for you.

What do you pay for something like this?

You pay what it is worth to you.  Absolutely nobody here can know whether getting the job done has a value of $5 or $5,000.

Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
5 of 20

Darrin is right.

You might save money if you don't pay anybody to do this but have a computer program do this.

I don't solicit work in the Community Forum, but you should know that this may the type of thing which is very suitable for a web application, such as the one I created for an sports apparel manufacturer last month...

They have dozens of types of clothing (T-shirts, hoodies, onesies, sweatshirts, etc.) and hundreds of designs (for individual sports teams and individual players), and many different colors and design options, and to save time we created a web application that merges background images (clothing) and design images, so the finished images look like photos of actual T-shirts with actual designs, but the "photos" are really computer-generated composites. The administrators just click a button and the computer generates hundreds or thousands of distinct merged images.

EDIT: I just took a look at the image the original poster attached to his message. The operation he is looking to automate looks like it is quite a bit simpler than the project I worked on. So, yes, it would definitely be my recommendation that he approach this as a programming task rather than a piecemeal labor task.

6 of 20

I am looking for answers and don't mind someone who understands this and/or able to do it speaking up.

Read my answer to Darrin above and see if I am reading how it would work correctly.

7 of 20

Thanks for the suggestion, I am unfamiliar with what you are talking about and how that would work.

1. Are you saying the program would marry the two photos together once the photo has been downloaded from the ebay listing?

2. Than they would manually upload to the hosting site, imgur/photobucket

3. Than manually upload the link to our program that would relist it on ebay?

Am I seeing this correctly?

Community Guru
8 of 20

@Terry R wrote:

Thanks for the suggestion, I am unfamiliar with what you are talking about and how that would work.

1. Are you saying the program would marry the two photos together once the photo has been downloaded from the ebay listing?

2. Than they would manually upload to the hosting site, imgur/photobucket

3. Than manually upload the link to our program that would relist it on ebay?

Am I seeing this correctly?

You're not looking far enough, in my opinion.  From an operations standpoint, the question to ask yourself is: how much human intelligence is really required to do this step?  Keep in mind you live at a time when computer are not only doing things with increasing sophistication, but doing it faster, too.

None of the steps you list seem to require manual intervention.  I've automated similar things, and the main reason to involve a human in the process is to do quality control.  Nobody here can know all the details of what you want done, of course, so it is up to the person(s) you hire to flesh out the details of the project and target the steps that can be automated with maximum efficiency.

9 of 20

I had no idea a program could be written that would do this, automation would be great. I understand mechanical but the computer understanding is very much limited.

What heading would I post a job under to see if this could be done?

Thanks for your persistence in this, might open me open to a different way of thinking.

Community Guru
10 of 20

@Terry R wrote:

What heading would I post a job under to see if this could be done?

In general, you'll look for someone under Web, Mobile & Software Development.  Then it comes down to what level of computer knowledge you have in-house.  If you really don't know that much, you might want to hire someone (or more than one someone, if you follow Preston's approach) from under Product Management to figure out the best approach to take for your particular operation.  Then you might need to hire someone(s) from either Scripts & Utilities or Other - Software Development to write the software itself.

TOP KUDOED MEMBERS