🐈
» Forums » Clients » Problem With Credit Card
Page options
majjji
Community Member

Problem With Credit Card

I just recently tried to hire 2 people and got this message:

Sorry, we are unable to authorize this credit card. Please check the card information or try another card. Questions? Contact us.

I have done the following:

1. Opened up an online ticket on upwork and have had a long conversation with a member, who suggested that there is some issue with my bank who had issued the card. I again asked if there is any issue at your end, which she negated. 

2. I called my bank and asked that I am facing this issue. They said that there is a "Message Error In System" which means that I am entering some wrong info while adding up my credit card. So, I repeated every single information and they said that the info is all correct. Then they ask for the postal code, which I told them that this option is optional. To which they reacted to add postal code. I added that as well but no success. They said that there is something wrong with the website and ask the team of that website to help

3. I again discussed the issue in detail with the same member and she replied to add another card or to use other payment options.

NOW MY QUESTION IS THAT WHY MY CARD WAS REJECTED EACH TIME, WHILE IT WAS THE SAME WHEN I USED TO WORK ON ODESK.COM.

Kindly let me know in a clear way what has happened to upwork.com? Are there changed in the privacy policies regarding payments? I am a lot confused and need immediate help. pleaseeeeee  

35 REPLIES 35
kochubei_valeria
Community Member

Hi Moez,

Unfortunately, it appears that the payment method you entered can't be used for making payments on Upwork. Please, add an alternative payment method.

~ Valeria
Upwork

I am a company looking to hire a client and cant add a debit/credit card in my billing methods and I get the error "Sorry, a critical component of this page failed to load. Please reload the page." I have tried to view the page o both Safari and Google Chrome, what do you think is the issue?

Hi Frank,

I apologize for the inconvenience. Our engineers are aware of this issue and are currently working to fix it as soon as possible. I have also passed your report to them.

Thank you for your patience.

~ Valeria
Upwork

Hi Frank,

We've been informed that this issue has been resolved and you should be able to add yout credit card without any issues. Please, let us know if you run into further problems.

~ Valeria
Upwork

Hello has this been resolved yet? I am experiencing the same issue... 

"I am a company looking to hire a client and cant add a debit/credit card in my billing methods and I get the error "Sorry, a critical component of this page failed to load. Please reload the page." I have tried to view the page o both Safari and Google Chrome, what do you think is the issue?"

Hi Shareefa, Bjorn and Vincent,

I apologize for any inconvenience or frustration this issue has caused you. Our Engineering team is working to resolve the issue as soon as possible.

We appreciate your patience.

~ Vladimir
Upwork

Hi Everyone,

This issue should now be resolved please try to add your credit card again. We apologize for the inconvenience this caused. 

Thanks!

Untitled

Hi, 

You can now add a card but once you submit the information you get an alert that says it cannot be processed.

Hi Shareefa,

I'm sorry to hear you're still having issues with adding your billing method. If you still can't add your Visa, MasterCard, or American Express card as a billing method, please contact Customer Support so we can investigate and assist you further.

~ Vladimir
Upwork

Hello There,

I also facing same problem when i try to add my visa card as billing mehtod. That card issued by my local bank so Im using it every where over the internet but why I can't add with upwork.  So I need hire freelancer for my work  Please response me ASAP.

Regards

Suminda

AveryO
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Suminda, 

I checked your account and can see that your payment method has already been set. Are you looking to add another credit card to your client account?

~ Avery
Upwork

Hello, i have been having the same problem. I already payed 200 USD, but the second 200 is not coming through. Please advise. 

AveryO
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Fouad, 

I checked your billing history page (Reports > Transaction History), and you should see the two $200 charges to your account. 

~ Avery
Upwork
5bb14a93
Community Member

Hello - I am receiving the same error message: "Sorry, a critical component of this page failed to load. Please reload the page." 

I've tried adding a payment method in my settings and also while trying to hire a freelancer and got the same error message. Help! 

5bb14a93
Community Member

Hello - I am receiving the same error message: "Sorry, a critical component of this page failed to load. Please reload the page." 

I've tried adding a payment method in my settings and also while trying to hire a freelancer and got the same error message. Help! 

Hi Mollinann,

Sorry to see that you are running into this issu. I have checked your account and was unable to replicate this error in your settings from our end. Please try clearing your cache and your cookies or adding your billing information from an alternate browser and let us know if the issue persists, in which case we will assist further.

~Nina

I also have the same issue..:

"Sorry, a critical component of this page failed to load. Please reload the page."

vincenthaywood
Community Member

Any news on this issue yet? Have a tight deadline on some work and my freelancer can't start till I hire him

4a479174
Community Member

Still won't work. Is there any progress?

Hi Shareefa,

Also, make sure that the card you are not entering Discover, prepaid, or virtual card (this includes the Payoneer Prepaid Debit Mastercard). Double-check to make sure you used a card Upwork accepts.

You may also contact your credit card company or the bank to determine the reason they sent a failure code to Upwork. Some banks flag the two small verification charges as potentially fraudulent and block them. Once you or your bank resolves the issue, you can return to Upwork and complete verification.

I hope it helps.

~ Valeria
Upwork

Hello,

I have entered my credit card details. But once I try to hire a freelancer there's a pop-up saying "There is a problem with the Billing". But upon checking my credit card account I have already been billed for it.

Hi JC,

It looks like you have both a freelancer and client contexts on your account. You have added a payment method to your freelancer account but haven't added a billing method to your client's account. Please, click on your name in the upper right corner, switch to your client account, then go to Settings> Billing Methods and Add a Billing Method.

I hope this helps.

~ Valeria
Upwork

I also have the same issue..:

We are unable to authorize your card. Please add another billing method or contact your issuing bank.
This card was working fine on my freelancer acc and added succesfully in one try but for my client account its not working.

mahajanmanu
Community Member

Sorry, a critical component of this page failed to load. Please reload the page.

Hi Manoj,

Could you please clear your cache and cookies or log in with another browser to check if you`re still experiencing the same issue? Let us know if the issue persists. Thank you.

~ Bojan
Upwork

Hi
I Get the Same issue after clearing cache and cookies. i check my Upwork
account in other browsers. Please Resolve my issue .

Hi Manoj,

In order to use Paypal as a billing method on Upwork, your Paypal account must have a linked credit or debit card for recurring payments (for example, for membership fees). For cases like this, a funding source is required to add Paypal as a billing method. You can also check the options available to you and learn more about acceptable billing methods

~ Nikola
Upwork
mahajanmanu
Community Member

While adding the payment method i am getting "Sorry, a critical component of this page failed to load. Please reload the page."

I spoke to my banks about the same problem. CITI and ICICI both mentioned that they have blocked the payment to this merchant (upwork), not sure if upwork is blacklisted by the banks. Its a problem with Upwork team where even after receiving so many requests since 2015, they couldn't reach out to the banks and get this sorted.

4cefefd7
Community Member

been having the same issue. so frustrating! 

I have tried to upload multiple different bank accounts (master card and visa) and PayPal accounts, and none get accepted. I reached out on the chatbot and luckily managed to speak to a live agent, they said they would get back to me in 24-48 hours and I still haven't heard anything its been 3 days and the freelancers are on hold. this is so frustrating! 

Hi Natasha,

I can sense the urgency of your concern, and I'm sorry for not being able to get back to you sooner. I've submitted a follow-up to our support team to examine your case closely. Kindly expect an update from one of the members with more information momentarily. 

~ Arjay
Upwork
5f720685
Community Member

Hi, I have the same issue it's been a day but no help from Upwork. Please do something, I've tried all possible cards I have. None worked.

Hi Abraham,

I shared your report with the team handling your case and one of our agents will follow up with you on your support ticket as soon as possible to assist you further. 

~ Nikola
Upwork

Hi,
I don't know why it took so long for a big company like Upwork to handle payment issue like this. Here's my situation, my first debit card was verified. But when I was gonna use it to hire a freelancer, it was rejected. Balance was there and I even added more. Then Upwork suggested me to add another method, so I used the second card. It was successful to hire a freelancer.

But then I got to hire another freelancer for different project. This recently successful card turned out to be useless. Balance is more than necessary. The bank sent the payment then Upwork refunded it with unclear details. I've read throughout forum but cannot find practical, quick and efficient solutions to it, except:

"Please add another method of payment."
"Please contact your Bank issuing the card."

I already contacted support, at first it was so frustrating dealing with the bot which it didn't allow me to talk to real human being while it gave me no exact solution. Once I got a reply from human being, it said "our expert will help you with this" It's been many many hours but no help comes from Upwork.

Come on, Upwork. Do not complicate your client. We are here to use your service and give a job to some freelancers. Please do help us. Thank you.

Latest Articles
Learning Paths