🐈
» Forums » Clients » Re: Problem charging your billing method
Page options
ahmadjamshed
Community Member

Problem charging your billing method

Hello, when I hire a freelancer it says
"There was a problem charging your billing method. Please enter a new billing method and try again."
My current billing method is verified by upwork. Upwork charged $10 in total yesterday as verificiation process. This is my first time hiring someone. My billing method is using Mastercard debitcard. I am also using the same method for withdrawing funds from upwork and that work just fine. Please get back to me asap as I have to hire someone urgent.

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
petra_r
Community Member

Make sure your card is a proper credit card, or a debit card that functions like a credit card. it can not be a prepaid card like Payoneer etc. Those are not accepted at all.

View solution in original post

17 REPLIES 17
petra_r
Community Member

Make sure your card is a proper credit card, or a debit card that functions like a credit card. it can not be a prepaid card like Payoneer etc. Those are not accepted at all.

Its a proper debit card. I use it online without any issue and it is not prepaid. Upwork even charged $10 yesterday which I received and entered those 2 amounts into the verification page. It seems strange that Upwork can charge me for that but is unable to put money into escrow. 

Also I have money in bank so thats not the issue.

Have you looked at the account or talked to the bank? Small charges are also what happens when people steal CCs, so I think sometimes the verification process trips fraud triggers. Call the bank and make sure they aren't blocking the charges.

I have contacted my Bank and they are saying that on their system wrong information error is showing. I am hundred percent sure that information I have entered is correct otherwise Upwork wouldn't be able to charge me verification charges. I am guessing that this is problem from upwork side. I wish some moderator see this post and contact me. I have also tried removing and adding 3 times but all in vain.

ah well at least you know why. Mods will come around. It's the weekend and a holiday weekend but they do come around at least once a day.

Hello Ahmad,

I just got a word from one of our representatives and they said that your bank has declined the transaction.

Untitled

Is debit card accepted? My bank is saying that this is probably due to the merchant site doesn't accept debit card and only credit card. Bank is saying the problem is from the merchant site end. I will try with some other card tomorrow. What other solutions you offer?

Hello Ahmad,

Please click here to learn more about Billing Methods.

Untitled

Hello. I am also facing the same problem and it's really frustrating 

I have tried to hire clients and they keep declining my payment methods

I have tried 4 different Mastercards from 2 different banks.  Still the same

I even tried using my other client Account and my billing method was still declined 

And just now. I tried a Visa card and payment Method was still declined on a different Client account that I own. So what's the problem 

I need to hire a freelancer and this is really frustrating me  

Please help me out with this

Hi Kazeem,

Thank you for your message. Could you please contact your card issuing bank to check the available limit and permission to complete international transactions on your cards?

Thank you

Pradeep

Upwork

Hello Pradeep,

I am also facing the same issue. I have two debit cards, and both my card payment methods as well as PayPal were declined by Upwork. Interestingly, just 10 days ago, I successfully hired a freelancer and made a payment. However, now my payments are being declined. My bank branch informed me that there might be an issue on their end.

Please assist me as soon as possible. I urgently need to hire a freelancer. Also if I didnt pay then my account gets temporarily ban.

Best Regards,
Priya Singh

Hi Priya,

We saw your post in the community and converted it into a support ticket to give it the attention it deserves. I'm sorry you're having difficulties processing payment on your account. Rest assured that one of our agents will be reaching out to you on this page with further assistance.

~ Arjay
Upwork
0016ab5f
Community Member

Hi am facing the same problem.  I have linked my debit card, the initial check of zero dollar verification is also successful. However after completing all pricesses and i pay, there is a message prompted "There was a problem charging your billing method. Please enter a new billing method and try again.

I have also tried thru Paypal, have configured it via my bank account as well as debit card but finally when i pay it fails and prompts "try different payment option".  Infact i have also pre-approved the amount on paytm with Upwork.

I am using upwork for the first time. Need your immediate help. thanks

Hi Yash,

Thank you for your message. I'll have one of our customer support agents to reach out to you directly and assist you further.

Thank you

Pradeep

Upwork

Hi Pradeep!

I am facing the same issue as Yash. Please help me. It is very urgent.

Hi Avni,

I would be happy to help. I checked and it looks like the charge on your credit card keeps getting declined. Please contact your card-issuing bank for more information about the specific charge decline.

~ Nikola
Upwork
72e15b4c
Community Member

Hi Pradeep! Can you help me with the same query. I am unable to pay my freelancer due to same reason. Need your assistance urgently.

Latest Articles
Learning Paths