cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problem in charging my billing method? Security Code issue

2fa3b306
Tristan F Member Since: Sep 9, 2016
1 of 7

I am trying to hire a freelancer and give Upwork a payment in advanced. However, I keep getting this error message: 

"There was a problem charging your billing method. Please enter a new billing method and try again." 

The problem, I am pretty sure, is because the security code or CVV is empty in my Billing Method. I have filled the Security code multiple times, however, when I check my Billing Method again, security code slot is empty. 

What's the solution to this? 

petra_r
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
2 of 7

It is more likely that the card declined the charge.

The security code does not show for security reasons, so no need to keep re-entering it, it is in the system, just invisible at your end for your safety!

Your card issuer may be declining as an unknown or unusual transaction, it happens sometimes. Get in touch with them to check.

Alternatively, if you have a verified PayPal account you could just add that to your Upwork account as a billing method.

vladag
Community Manager
Vladimir G Community Manager Member Since: Oct 31, 2014
3 of 7

Hi Tristan,

Please remove the billing method and re-enter your card details, and ensure that all the details are correct. If you're still seeing the error message, please contact the card-issuing bank and check if there are any restrictions or issues which are preventing your card to be charged.

Untitled
4db4b5e8
Deepak B Member Since: Nov 5, 2019
4 of 7

Having same thing with paypal also

g_vasilevski
Goran V Moderator Member Since: Mar 24, 2017
5 of 7

Hi Deepak,

One of our team members will reach out to you via ticket as soon as possible and assist you further with your billing method. Thank you.

Untitled
246a349c
Amal A Member Since: Jan 2, 2020
6 of 7
I’m having the same problem as well and need urgent assistance
djondinium
Aleksandar D Moderator Member Since: Mar 23, 2019
7 of 7

Hi Amal,

Thanks for reaching out to us. One of our team members already reached out to you directly via a support ticket to assist you further.

Thank you.

~ Aleksandar
Untitled
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS