🐈
» Forums » Clients » Problem with exchange rate
Page options
47a2e173
Community Member

Problem with exchange rate

Hello,you charged me in £ instead of $, and I got overcharged for £3 due to your disadvantageous exchange rate.

As per official exchange rate, I should have been charged £83.74 ($103 to £) however I was charged £86.48.

Can you please refund me the difference?

Thanks

ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi Marco,

We checked and it looks like the billing method was set to the default. Please, check this page for the information and feel free to click on the menu button, select edit and update the currency if you'd like. 

~ Valeria
Upwork

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
BojanS
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Marco,

We understand your frustration. Unfortunately, the difference in exchange rates is not something Upwork can control. When a bank converts a transaction, they will mark up the interbank rate to buy or sell a currency. Online calculators will not take into consideration the mark up that is applied. Since rates constantly change throughout any given day, the rate you received is the rate offered by our bank at the time your specific transaction was processed.

As a client, you can opt to be charged in your local currency or USD when paying your freelancers on Upwork. Please see this article for more information.

Thank you!

~ Bojan
Upwork
47a2e173
Community Member

Thanks,

I had chosen USD indeed at point of purchase, why was I charged in GBP?

Thanks,

Hi Marco,

We checked and it looks like the billing method was set to the default. Please, check this page for the information and feel free to click on the menu button, select edit and update the currency if you'd like. 

~ Valeria
Upwork
b_wanzala
Community Member

Hello, How are you? I still have a similar problem, in the past three withdrawals, I have been withdrawing with 94.75 as the interest rate. But the current interest rate is close to 103.3 Kindly help me solve out and let me know if I shall be refunded the shortages. Thank you in advance

Hi Bruno,

Please keep in mind that the difference in exchange rates is not something Upwork can control. When a bank converts a transaction, they will mark up the interbank rate to buy or sell a currency. Online calculators will not take into consideration the mark up that is applied. Since rates constantly change throughout any given day, the rate you received is the rate offered by our bank at the time your specific transaction was processed. Thank you.

~ Goran
Upwork

Hello to you Govan I still believe there could be an issue because I have also tried to inquire the current exchange among my fellow colleagues for the Kenyan shilling is at 103.2 USD/KES. Kindly check if that is correct

Latest Articles
Learning Paths