🐈
» Forums » Clients » Problem with freelancer
Page options
59993ebc
Community Member

Problem with freelancer

I need help with a dishonest freelancer. This is the full story. I had a job and I posted here. I get a request from person saying that he will be able to do the task and he will do it perfectly. He asked me to hire and promised perfect work. Before hieing him, he told me that within 2 hours he will finish the task. I sent him the contract. After 5 minutes, he demanded payment with no work submitted. I warned him his actions is supicious and I will cancel the contract. He kept on send reqquests for payment. Then after 10 mins he sent request demanding payment with work submitted. The work he submitted was paper of somone else in business while my topic is in computer science. He told me first it will take 2 hours then he submitted in 10 minutes unrelated plagarized work and he demands payment. I kept messaging he started to become unresponsive. I cancelled contacrt and I demanded full refund coz he did nothing but instead he should be punished for what he did. He disputed my refund request. We had someone from upwork to resolve the issue. He proposed partial payment coz he submitted work. How on earth is that possible to pay a scammer who submit plagarized unrelated work just because he submitted sth. I can make huge fortunes if I did like this dishonest person claim professionalism once I get hired submit anything dispute and get money. Where is the customer protection and honesty of freelancers. I demand my money back and this person to be suspended from upwork. Please helpp 

3 REPLIES 3
prestonhunter
Community Member

How much money in total did you pay to this freelancer?

feed_my_eyes
Community Member

It sounds like the mediator is trying to help you and the freelancer compromise, but that doesn't mean that you have to agree to any partial payment. You could insist on going to arbitration, then the freelancer will likely back off rather than pay $291 for a case that sounds like he'll lose. (I assume that you can prove the paper is stolen - you found it online and it was credited to a different author?)

But before you go any further with this, you should make sure that you weren't violating Upwork's terms of service yourself, like trying to purchase an essay to use in a college course. 

JoanneP

Hi Mark,

I am really sorry to hear about your experience. I have followed up with the team about your concern. One of our agents will reach out and assist you directly via a support ticket. 

~ Joanne
Upwork
Latest Articles
Learning Paths