cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Process to dispute hourly charges for useless work

Mark F Member Since: Apr 23, 2016
1 of 21

I just hired a contractor for an hourly job on Upwork. He tracked his hours using the Upwork tracking tool.

The work he did was completely usely and he demonstrated that he is completely incompetent to do this work.

His hour tracked do show 'real' work. I'm not disputing that he spent time on the project. However, again, the work was a total waste of time and the 'work product' in no way satified the requirements clearly specified in the project description.

There is no way in the system to dispute payment for work that is completely useless.

This is a terrible flaw in the system. It totally undermines my trust in Upwork and puts me off ever hiring anyone I don't already know on an hourly basis again.

This widget could not be displayed.
2 of 21
Probably you hired a very cheap freelancer.
3 of 21

Nope. I hired an average-priced freelancer with a 100% satisfaction rating. 

But that's beside the point. Whatever the price, I should not have to pay for work that does not meet the project requirements in any way.

Community Guru
Christy A Member Since: Dec 30, 2015
4 of 21

Have you spoken with your freelancer to determine where the disconnect is?  Perhaps you can work out a solution.

If he has a 100% rating, chances are good that he'll be willing to work with you to try and come to some understanding.

5 of 21

Yes I have. He said 'he did the best he could' and is unwilling to agree to refund the hours.

However, I hired two other contractors for the same job, as I'm looking to find one great person for long-term work. Both of the others did excellent work within the same timeframe and I'm 100% happy with their results.

He's just incompetent for this work, but is unwilling to acknowledge it.

Community Guru
Christy A Member Since: Dec 30, 2015
6 of 21

Although it likely sticks in your craw, I would suggest you pay him and provide honest and accurate feedback.  Feedback is crucial on Upwork.

It was wise of you to hire several freelancers in order to choose one for long-term work.  It may be that paying this guy the smaller amount saved you a fortune in both money and frustration.  

7 of 21

@Mark F wrote:

Yes I have. He said 'he did the best he could' and is unwilling to agree to refund the hours.

However, I hired two other contractors for the same job, as I'm looking to find one great person for long-term work. Both of the others did excellent work within the same timeframe and I'm 100% happy with their results.

He's just incompetent for this work, but is unwilling to acknowledge it.

Pay him and leave a bad review. In the real world we often have to pay for goods and services which we do not like in the end.  

8 of 21

@Margarete M wrote:

Pay him and leave a bad review. In the real world we often have to pay for goods and services as well which we do not like in the end.  

In the real world, marketplaces that don't protect their customers by providing a process to mediate reasonable disputes lose business. Elance was great in that regard, but Upwork has totally dropped the ball.

Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
9 of 21

On Upwork, many clients find it useful to start with a small number of allowable hours, then review work before allowing the contractor to do more.

Because the original poster is correct: A client has limited recourse if a contractor really does work, but the work is just not good.

This has happened to me. I saw early on that the work was not up to my expectations, so I closed the contract early in the process and said I didn't need any more work done by the contractor. They were paid for their time, but it was not a lot of time.

Once I have worked with a contractor some and know the quality of their work, I don't monitor it so closely.

Community Guru
Nichola L Member Since: Mar 13, 2015
10 of 21

Mark F said:

"In the real world, marketplaces that don't protect their customers by providing a process to mediate reasonable disputes lose business. Elance was great in that regard, but Upwork has totally dropped the ball."

If the freelancer didn't work out - either dispute the quality of work and ask for your money back, or leave the appropriate feedback.

Freelancers are not 'products' - Upwork is an introducer not a distributor.  What is more, freelancers are Upwork's customers. We pay Upwork. Clients do not pay Upwork; they pay the people they hire.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS