cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Process to dispute hourly charges for useless work

Community Leader
Matija M Member Since: Feb 4, 2013
11 of 21

Gotta pull this move next time I get to KFC and they bring me some usual useless food instead of this beauty from a couple of days back:

yxc.jpg

I'm gonna dispute 'em all day long and demand my 3€ back!

Mark F Member Since: Apr 23, 2016
12 of 21

@Matija M wrote:

Gotta pull this move next time I get to KFC and they bring me some usual useless food instead of this beauty from a couple of days back:

yxc.jpg

I'm gonna dispute 'em all day long and demand my 3€ back!

Your analogy is in reverse. The contractor promised me trout and brought two-day-old KFC that was mouldy and would have been a health hazard to eat. Would you still think it reasonable that the restaurant demand you pay the  10€ for the trout on the menu?

Community Leader
Matija M Member Since: Feb 4, 2013
13 of 21

@Mark F wrote:

Your analogy is in reverse. The contractor promised me trout and brought two-day-old KFC that was mouldy and would have been a health hazard to eat. Would you still think it reasonable that the restaurant demand you pay the  10€ for the trout on the menu?

Epic. So, please let me quote you:

@Mark F wrote:

The work he did was completely usely and he demonstrated that he is completely incompetent to do this work.

Yet you demonstrated that you're completely **Edited for Community Guidelines** (to use your own words as you're **Edited for Community Guidelines**) to do the screening and properly selecting the right candidate. But the whole fault is on that particular freelancer. There's absolutely no way that you failed to choose, right? Seems legit. Not.

Community Guru
Maria Marilyn M Member Since: Oct 27, 2010
14 of 21

Sadly, if the work was tracked using the Upwork app with complete memo documentation, it is guaranteed by Upwork and you need to pay the contractor. The most you can do is to leave an honest feedback explaining why you think the work completed is useless.

Community Guru
Tonya P Member Since: Nov 26, 2015
15 of 21

I hope you are not out a great deal of money and will leave honest and clear feedback. It is in everyone's best interest for those who claim to be capable but are not to be revealed.

Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
16 of 21

Its a good system that works the way it was meant to.

In hiring multiple contractors so he could compare their relative quality while looking for a really good contractor to work with long term, the original poster was using the system wisely.

The original poster was also using the system wisely when he closed the contract quickly when he saw that one contractor's work did not meet his expectations.

Paying people who work for you on an hourly basis, whether they turn out to be a good fit or not, is how things work offline. Key advantages that clients have when they use Upwork versus many other ways of hiring people include:

- the ease of monitoring work

- and the ease of "firing" somebody

It is so much easier to fire somebody using Upwork then it is in most employee/employer or contractor/client relationships!

You can literally do it with the touch a button. You don't have to keep a bad worker, reassign him, try to be patient with him while he improves, have a reason for firing him, give him advance notice, give him severance pay... Nothing.

Clients are Upwork's customers. Upwork is almost entirely geared toward pleasing clients and working toward ensuring positive client outcomes.

There is SO MUCH that regular "employers" must deal with that Upwork clients don't have to deal with.

Paying contractors for their time spent working on the client's behalf is indeed one of the minor concessions in the contractor's favor, in a sense. But most clients would want to do that anyway, even if it were not required to do so.

Community Leader
Fernanda M Member Since: Apr 10, 2016
17 of 21

I hope that was the same for freelancers.

I had the worst experience with a client.

I touched the button, a MONTH ago and they're still harassing and threatening me. 

CS has done nothing but telling me "I'm so sorry you had t go through this". I sent a bunch of evidence, explained all the issues.........

There are no TOS for abusive clients in this site. 

Vladimir G Moderator Member Since: Oct 31, 2014
18 of 21

Hi Fernanda,

I'm familiar with the case you are referring to and I see our team is communicating with you regarding this problem. As our agent's explained, in addition to the client's feedback we've already addressed, we'll do everything we can to help you with the problem you're having. Please consider our agent's suggestion to contact your email provider and local law enforcement officials, since the communication in question is taking place outside Upwork.

Community Leader
Fernanda M Member Since: Apr 10, 2016
19 of 21

Dear Vladimir,

thank you for your reply.

I am escalating the issue to the legal department, as i have just received a notification because my account was flagged  "for making discriminatory or offensive remarks, threats, profanity, or vulgarity"

I really do not see any of my comments here in the community or in the message platform that could be considered as such.

I hope this situation is solved

Kind regards,

Fernanda

Valeria K Moderator Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
20 of 21

Hi Fernanda,

It looks like you have an open ticket about this issue and it's unrelated to your Community posts. Please, refer to that ticket and use it to communicate with the team in order to resolve the issue.

Thank you.

~ Valeria
Untitled
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS