🐈
» Forums » Clients » Re: Professional etiquette is mostly about co...
Page options
gilbert-phyllis
Community Member

Professional etiquette is mostly about common courtesy

Dear Prospective Clients:

If you message a FL re. their proposal and ask for a phone appointment on a specific day and the FL offers you some available time slots, it's safe to assume the FL has penciled you in and is reserving time and attention for you. If you change your mind for whatever reason--you find someone you like better and hire them, the project gets postponed, your own schedule changes, etc.--please take a few seconds to send the FL a message and let them know.

Thanks,

Tired of Being Stood Up

3 REPLIES 3
florydev
Community Member

The only good thing about that happening is you at least know you dodged a bullet.
robin_hyman
Community Member

Ditto.

Or worse, you spend time on the call with prospective client.  At the end of the call they say they want to hire you.  Fantastic!  You send your quote, list of deliverables and next steps.  

Never hear from the client again....

Just happened to me this week!  And he's on Upwork ALL THE TIME!

I've had people drop conversations only to return more than a year later. Just happened with a response I submitted June 2018. I'm not holding my breath. My record "silent period" is three years, then recontact.

Posted a job a day or two ago and hired someone today. I indicated in the text that I expected to pay $50-75 an hour to make me smart on something for one hour. It may take more time than that. I only got one response, from Auckland when I specified  North American. I think he'll work out at $60/hr, and we should figure it out by tomorrow early afternoon my time.

I figured out during the back-and-forth messaging that it would be quite helpful if GMT for both sender and recipient could be displayed while conversing. I prefer to set appts using GMT because it doesn't change based on anything except the Cesium clock.

Latest Articles
Learning Paths