cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Profile Hourly Rate and Proposed hourly Rate

Highlighted
Badar S Member Since: Nov 7, 2013
1 of 6
Hi All I am new to Odesk. I was confused abour Profile Hourly Rate and Proposed hourly Rate for a Job. Which one of the above two will be shown to client as my bid for the job? Is it a good practice to have different Profile Hourly Rate and propose hourly Rate wrt to client and project? Thanks in advance.
Highlighted
Community Guru
Natacha R Member Since: Aug 2, 2010
2 of 6
[quote=Badar S.]Hi All I am new to Odesk.[/quote] Welcome to oDesk Smiley Happy [quote=Badar S.] I was confused abour Profile Hourly Rate and Proposed hourly Rate for a Job. Which one of the above two will be shown to client as my bid for the job?[/quote] Proposed hourly rate [quote=Badar S.]Is it a good practice to have different Profile Hourly Rate and propose hourly Rate wrt to client and project? Thanks in advance.[/quote] I have been changing my profile hourly rate a lot lately, the other day I put it down to $10 ( I did this as a test), and coincidence or not I received an invitation same day, so I explained to the client that was just to come up in search. I asked him if he thought it was wrong/misleading. He did not answer, but clearly he didn't mind (hired and not @ $10), but I'm still a bit unsure about this. Is it good practice? I think it's ok, as long as you can prove that you have what it takes for the job, it does not matter if your proposed terms are higher than your profile hourly rate.
Highlighted
Robert S Member Since: Aug 5, 2011
3 of 6
Lowering the hourly rate on your profile only to up-sell your talent during the interview stage is fine and it'll probably even work if you're any good at selling yourself. Having said that though, lowering your profile rate to appear in filtered search results seems like a bad idea. The best clients I have ever had have been clients looking specifically for people over a certain dollar mark, (~$30+) for example. They claim to do this to reduce the amount of time they waste interviewing people with lower self-worth or those who haven't proven themselves enough to climb the hourly rate ladder. This is not to say that the highest paying clients are the best because this is certainly not always the case. However, in my experience, those who understand the true cost of quality services also understand that they're going to get what they pay for; thus it is wise to them to eliminate cheap labor for fear of throwing away money. Anyway, it's after midnight and I've gone all day without pie. If this doesn't make sense it's your fault.
Highlighted
Community Guru
Natacha R Member Since: Aug 2, 2010
4 of 6
I actually started doing this after reading Damien's comment. It's really late for me, can't sleep, but it still made sense. Here's your pie. Smiley Happy [quote=Damien Darby] I struggle with pricing to this day. Yes, I do intentionally set my rate at $10 because it's a round number and after a long gauntlet of trial and error this is where the market seems to like me. As you see, I always get paid more per hour. Why? Because I've found that clients really only care what I bid on their inbound proposals. And, by the time I enter into a contract with someone they know what I'm bringing to the table. [/quote] https://www.odesk.com/community/node/32328
Highlighted
Robert S Member Since: Aug 5, 2011
5 of 6
I guess the important takeaway for newer freelancers reading this is that there is no single correct way to market yourself, but for each tactic tried there is the potential for both positive and negative side-effects. My rate changes pretty regularly for different reasons such as raising it when I get to busy, reducing it slightly (if necessary) when work slows down or I want more, and the countless times my mind starts to wonder "what if?". My overview changes also and my portfolio will probably be my next testing ground. To me, this is what it's all about, testing different strategies to see what nets me not just the most interviews but the highest quality leads from the type of clientele that I truly want to work with. That pie looks amazing, where is Google with my screen tasting technology?
Highlighted
Community Guru
Marcia M Member Since: Apr 3, 2013
6 of 6
It keeps away the invitations from clients who are looking for cheap work and don't care about quality.
TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS