🐈
» Forums » Clients » Re: Project funds being deducted multiple tim...
Page options
c84b9c5f
Community Member

Project funds being deducted multiple times when offers withdrawn or declined.

Does UpWork have any plans to change their Escrow deposit method? It's a major inconvenience when a job is offered to a freelancer but the circumstances change and they decline or you have to withdraw the offer and the project fee has already been deducted from your account.

To hire someone else the money is deducted again and the initial fee is withheld for a further 5 days! This is an issue for small businesses and a major turnoff for using this platform.  Why not set up a system where the project fee is held for the actual job and released when the job is completed, by whichever freelancer that ends up being?

As a client trying to do the right thing an honour payments upfront we shouldn't be penalised if the freelancer doesn't accept the offer or if circumstances change.

Please change this ASAP!

2 REPLIES 2
AveryO
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Kate, 

I'm sorry to know that this has been an inconvenience for you. I checked your account and can confirm that the refund was successful on our end. Typically, banks process this refunds in five business days. Regarding Escrow refunds, these will be returned to the billing method you used for the deposit. The credit can take up to five business days to appear. Funds held more than 60 days may instead be returned to your balance for reuse if we cannot credit your billing method (some billing method vendors don’t allow credits to be applied after a certain number of days). You may want to check out this help article to learn more. 

Just the same, I will share your feedback with the team so this can be looked into further. Thank you for taking the time to share your sentiment with us!

~ Avery
Upwork
c84b9c5f
Community Member

Hi there,

Thanks for your reply.

However, this doesn't answer my question nor solve the problem—an issue in
which I'm not alone and would guarantee all of your clients would
appreciate being resolved.

I'm completely fine with funding the project upfront but it should be based
on the project, not the freelancer. It's ridiculous that we get charged
multiple times while trying to find the right help for a single project.

This should be the number one priority for your team's next update and
changelog.

Cheers.
Latest Articles
Learning Paths