🐈
» Forums » Clients » Punish irresponsible freelancers for wasting ...
Page options
614b0354
Community Member

Punish irresponsible freelancers for wasting clients time!

Hello,

At Upwork most of times-jobs I face to situation when irresponsible unprofessional freelancers takes my jobs and then cant finish job as it must be, as job was describe. They just do something about to 30-60% and stop work, waste time, etc. 😞 😞 😞

**Edited for Community Guidelines**

etc

At last task we agree that **Edited for Community Guidelines** will make 5 simple tasks-parts of one simple job for a 3-5days. (Professional should make it for a ~4hr.) But **Edited for Community Guidelines** from **Edited for Community Guidelines** ignored the job description and waste 3weeks to make only 2 tasks of 5 and even refuse to give those 2 tasks for a tests before paying!!! After 3 weeks he just end contract without give anything - so this **Edited for Community Guidelines** just waste 3 weeks of my time for nothing!!!

All those freelancers have your upwork rating near to 100%. So upwork rating just does not work and don't represent real freelancers reliability at all!!!

I ask upwork admin-developers to:

1) Bring back to me payment for a last job ($50) and bonuses ($20) that I give to a last freelancer **Edited for Community Guidelines** for a job "**Edited for Community Guidelines**" because I give bonus mistakenly 2 times (I was confused by upwork interface where bonus can be added at two different placed which also better to fix) - because last job he not complete at all and at previous job **Edited for Community Guidelines** also still dont finish the job - he add only 2 of 3 meta and even that second meta at SR have a wrong description. Also rating for a previous job will be nice to change from 5* to 3*.

2)  Such an irresponsible freelancers behavior are disgrace your site! UPwork must stop it by adding some penalty punishment that will be taken from a freelancers "guaranty deposit" - if freelancer will not finish job at all or will very let down they client by too much wasted time - freelancer will be punished and client will get compensation for a wasted time! (For example as at last job - 3 weeks for a NOTHING! 😞 😞 :()

3) UPwork must automatically blocks possibility for freelancers to take more jobs when previous are not complete-finished! It can works automatically by giving possibility for a new freelancers or for freelancers with lower rating to take only 1 job, for freelancers with more then 10 jobs complete and rating near to 90% - to take 2 jobs, for freelancers with more then 50 jobs complete and rating near to 97-100% - to take 3 jobs, for a freelancers with more then 100 job and rating 99-100% and with accounts that works constantly for more then a 3years - to take up to 5 jobs, but not more any way. Also maybe with calculating of an overall jobs time, but still limit simultaneously jobs to 1-2-3-5.

Please, stop irresponsible behavior of freelancers at your site!

36 REPLIES 36
pudingstudio
Community Member

G V wrote:

You can always report a person with whom you have an legitimate issue. More than often there are repercussions for a guilty party.

Is UpWork at fault there?

As freelancers, we are not employed by UpWork. We use the platform same as clients.
Freelancers encounter many awful clients, clients do to.

UpWork can't guarantee nobility of a freelancer/client. It's up to us, users, to find suitable match for our needs.

Help section of this site makes it much easier. Everyone should peruse it.

AntunM

All your text is a capital banality. I recommend you to try to stop wright such banalities because they just don't resolve nothing.

Hi Antun M, 

Absolutely, thank you for your precision.

Moussa F.

But I would like to add that Upwork can help to solve this kind of problems that can occur on both sides, namely clients and freelancers. This is to complete my first comment.

Thank you 

Moussa F.

kat303
Community Member

I'm sorry this is happening to you but you have a lot of leverage and options here that you did not take advantage of. 

I just want to say, generally and NOT specifically towards you, but freelancers stop working for a number of reasons:

• After staring a job, the client starts requesting numerous changes and revisions not specified in the contract
  • The client wants more work done then what was originally described in the contract
  • The job turned out to be an almost totally different job then what was described 
  • The client didn't provide enough (or the correct) information about the job in the description and once the freelancer started to actually work on it they found out it was beyond their skillset. 

Clients are not obligated to continue to work with a freelancer until the work is totally finished. Clients can cancel/end a contract at any time, whether they have a reason to or not. You had no reason to continue working with the freelancer way beyond the initial deadline. There have been clients here who continued to work MONTHS with a freelancer after a weeks deadline and I wonder why they continue to do so. 

On fixed rate contracts, clients should receive work first, look it over, test it, and then if everything is ok, release the funds in escrow. Clients have 14 days in which to do so and they even have 30 days from the date of release of last payment to file a dispute. NEVER pay a freelancer Before you get the work. When the freelancer wanted payment for the 1st task before they sent you the work, that's when you should have immediately closed the contract. 

With all that went on, missed deadlines, payment before delivery of work, work not completed, why would you give a bonus to this freelancer and give them a 5 star feedback. Because of that, the next client will look at their profile see their great JSS score that you gave, see the 5 star feedback you left and have the same conclusion as you did. 

Also, as to limiting to how many jobs a freelancer can take at one time, you must realise that many of those jobs are open jobs where the work is done, but neither the client or freelancer has closed the job. Or that the freelancer is waiting for more work so the job is open because of that. It could even be that the client knows the freelancer is working on something else, but they (client) wants to hire the freelancer anyway and can wait until that work is done. Also, many freelancer can multitask 2 or 3 jobs depending on the type of work 

If I need ten tasks done in order to complete my project.... how much does it REALLY matter why ONE FREELANCER stopped working on the project?

I still need those tasks done.

So if the freelancer DIED or WON THE LOTTERY or decided he hates working online or if a typhoon wiped out his Internet access... 

Whatever it is, I am more successful as a client if I consistently receive finished work from all freelancers working for me, and consistently structure my project in a modular, well-architected way that does not require ONE PERSON to do all the work.

614b0354
Community Member

KathyT

Firstly I give a good advise to your next internet conversations - to make conversation more short and effective, to avoid a mess and overload - use the numbering. I will answer to you by numbering your paragraphs. And btw all answer is very predictable.

KathyT_1) I never do not exceed the requirements stated at a jobs description.

KathyT_2+3) Try to think a little - thinking is a really good method of understanding. The most obvious reason why client don't close jobs straight at beginning of a mess-laziness-etc of freelancers are because: (2.1) clients ALREDY WASTE MANY TIME and (2.2) Shameless FREELANCERS TELLS EVERY DAY - "ou, sorry my dear friend, we have an earth quake, my uncle was die, my cow stop to bring a milk, etc - so I was very busy, but now I will finish job very soon"... So at most of such situations clients just hope to "not waste more time with the next same lazy-protract freelancer!

KathyT_4) For a FIRST job I give to him 5* and some bonus - because I'm sick and tired of searching for more and more incompetent freelancers here - so I want to stimulate this one for his good (as I thought) first job to work good&effective also for a next jobs! But even such method to give bonus and be kind - unfortunately does not helps for a such shameless freelancers as most of presented at upwork. Also later I found that at FIRST job he makes a one big mistake and still don’t resolve it. SECOND job was complete for about 40% after which freelancer demanded a payment without sent job result for a test to me and after I refuse 4-5 times - he just end the contract - so at the end this scum just waste about 3 weeks OF MY TIME!

KathyT_5) And again - thinking is a really great method for resolving a complicated problems also. Upwork can just add an automated function to closed contract and release payment for a freelancers when they send a job result and press something like "request job completion" - if after that client don’t answer and protest for a 5-7days - job will be automatically closed and freelancer will get a payment.

G V wrote:

Upwork can just add an automated function to closed contract and release payment for a freelancers when they send a job result and press something like "request job completion" - if after that client don’t answer and protest for a 5-7days - job will be automatically closed and freelancer will get a payment.

This already exists, albeit the freelancer is paid after 14 days. 

As for giving a 'poor' freelancer 5 stars, and a bonus, AND re-employing them, and then blaming Upwork? Blimey! 

Jamie F

As for giving a 'poor' freelancer 5 stars, and a bonus, AND re-employing them, and then blaming Upwork? Blimey! 

Before answer you must read. Situation with first job happens because firstly freelancer make job fast and effective (I thought), but second job was protract and after some using also I found a bug at first job. I already describe it at this thread 2 times. Remeber to read before write.

PS BTW Only upwork reach-text editing dialogue are conflict with Chrome spellcheck - it's already a very big hint of the overall level of quality at whole upwork.

G V wrote:

Jamie F

Before write you must lear to read. Situation with first job happens because firstly freelancer make job fast and effective (I thought), but second job was protract and also I found a bug at first one. I already describe it here 2 times. Remeber to read before write.

I'm not the one with a reading comprehension problem, mate.

""For a FIRST job I give to him 5* and some bonus - because I'm sick and tired of searching for more and more incompetent freelancers here""

^^ Those are your own words. 

If you chose to pay the freelancer, plus a bonus, without first checking the work, then that is on you. There is a system in place to prevent this from happening and, for whatever reason, you didn't use it. - That is not Upwork's fault. The fault is down to the freelancer and yourself. 

I talking at this thread about an overall very often problem when upwork freelancers just waste time without do anything, just do nothing!

Your attempts to turn the conversation to a first small job with a double bonus instead of a huge problem with a second job - only show your misunderstanding of the essence of the problem or attempts to consciously transfer all the blame for the endless delays of 80-90% of upwork freelancers to their clients.

But Upwork DONT DO NOTHING TO PROTECT CLIENTS FROM WASTING THEIR TIME BY FREELANCERS!!! When freelancer try as he can for a long period of time (2-3-4weeks) and then just refuse from job and ends a contract - client just lose his time without any results and without any punishment to a irresponsible freelancer! With such freedom of action freelancers easily takes more and more jobs even on levels that they just cannot imagine and try as they can and FREELANCERS DOES NOT CARE ABOUT FAILS, DONT CARE TO WASTE CLIENTS TIME FOR NOTHING! - It's happens because of absent of any punishment for freelancers on their fail of work! And absent of a such functionality - IS A FAULT OF UPWORK ITSELF!

Do you understand a topic subject now?

G V wrote:

only show your misunderstanding of the essence of the problem or attempts to consciously transfer all the blame for the endless delays of 80-90% of upwork freelancers to their clients.

Did you just make that 'statistic' up? 

I'm not blaming clients in general. I am a client. I am pointing out that you (and the freelancer) are at fault in this specific case. As a client, I rarely have these problems. As a freelancer, I am never the cause of such problems. Just because this is the way it is for you, it does not mean it is that way for everybody else. 

G V wrote:

But Upwork DONT DO NOTHING TO PROTECT CLIENTS FROM WASTING THEIR TIME BY FREELANCERS!!! When freelancer try as he can for a long period of time (2-3-4weeks) and then just refuse from job and ends a contract - client just lose his time without any results and without any punishment to a irresponsible freelancer! With such freedom of action freelancers easily takes more and more jobs even on levels that they just cannot imagine and try as they can and FREELANCERS DOES NOT CARE ABOUT FAILS, DONT CARE TO WASTE CLIENTS TIME FOR NOTHING! - It's happens because of absent of any punishment for freelancers on their fail of work! And absent of a such functionality - IS A FAULT OF UPWORK ITSELF!

Again, you don't seem to understand how the system works. 

If the work is not up to standard, then don't pay. If a job is closed without pay, the freelancer's JSS is negatively affected, meaning they are 'punished'. And now you're talking about the freelancers refusing a job and closing a contract whereas before you were complaining that you want your money and bonus back? Which is it?

Also, no freelancer should be punished at the whim of any one client, because there are some clients that can be very unreasonable...

There is a system in place. Again, you chose not to use it. That is on you. 

Also, no freelancer should be punished at the whim of any one client, because there are some clients that can be very unreasonable...

It's only your limited and short-sighted opinion.

I have another opinion based on my 80-90% unsatisfactory results of freelancers works at Upwork - ONLY HARD PUNISHMENT OF FREELANCERS (money penalty from a freelancers guarantee account or time bans or full bans) can protect clients from wasting clients time by irresponsible freelancers that ready to take any jobs even which they can't handle at all and then just procrastinate or just end a contract - because it's a MASS Upwork PROBLEM!

petra_r
Community Member

G V wrote:

I have another opinion based on my 80-90% unsatisfactory results of freelancers works at Upwork

If 80% to 90% of your contracts are unsatisfactory, then you are either spectacularly bad at hiring, or really spectacularly bad at being a client.

And frankly, if you are failing so badly here, maybe try a different platform, because this one is clearly not working for you.

Upwork should remove clients who have such a high failure rate because they clearly aren't using the platform correctly or competently.

Either they need to be protected from their own poor hiring choices, or freelancers protected from their poor client- and project management skills.

Having seen the profiles of the people you hired, it seems likely that it's mostly the latter.

614b0354
Community Member

PetraR

Upwork should remove clients who have such a high failure rate because they clearly aren't using the platform correctly or competently.
Either they need to be protected from their own poor hiring choices, or freelancers protected from their poor client- and project management skills.

Predictably you did not take into account the possibility that everything is easier - my tasks just a more complicated-difficult than the level of 90-95% of upwork freelancers skills level and than most of clients jobs level and seems that than your level too. Using your words - in this case, as a smart client with difficult tasks, I ask upwork platform to protect me from **Edited for Community Guidelines** that takes jobs and 80% OF THEM JUST CAN'T COMPLETE - SO FREELANCERS ONLY WASTE MY TIME!!!

G V wrote:

I have another opinion based on my 80-90% unsatisfactory results of freelancers 

If that has been your experience, it probably says more about how you are using the system than anything else. As I mentioned before: just because that is your experience, it does not mean it is the same for everybody else. 

G V wrote:

ONLY HARD PUNISHMENT OF FREELANCERS (money penalty from a freelancers guarantee account or time bans or full bans) can protect clients from wasting clients time by irresponsible freelancers that ready to take any jobs even which they can't handle at all and then just procrastinate or just end a contract

Again -  freelancers ARE 'punished' for poor performance. It's called JSS (as I mentioned), Clients get to leave negative feedback for freelancers - Something that you chose not to do. 

You seem to be suggesting that freelancers should be fined or banned just from one complaint from a client. Again, that would not be a good idea because some clients can be very, very unreasonable to deal with. From what you seem to be suggesting, I could be fined or banned as a freelancer just because of a single client. Do you really think that is reasonable? Really? 

Again - there is a system in place that helps reward good freelancers and 'punish' the bad ones. Again, you chose not to use it.

Agreed Jamie has articulated this well. 

I found it suspicious that you mentioned that multiple experienced freelancers left the project. 

Plus if you had a case the support team would have helped you after the investigated thw evidence here on upwork. 

re: "Plus if you had a case the support team would have helped you after the investigated thw evidence here on upwork."

These are matters that clients should handle on their own.

These sorts of things should never cause clients to contact Upwork Support.

This is definitely not something that Support intends to help with.

G V wrote:

because it's a MASS Upwork PROBLEM!

No. It is not! 

I think your problems are more likely to be a YOU problem. 

Disagree, there are already satisfactory punishment measures for a competent seller to take. 

Hi G V,

I understand your frustration with this and Im sorry to hear about the bad experience you had.
I can see that you have also opened a ticket for this and our team will assist you further directly on your ticket. Thank you.

~ Goran
Upwork

Thanks good to know that there is someone looking into the situation. 

Hope it gets resolved after inspection. 

154ba352
Community Member

Hi Kathy T,

Thank you very much for your comment. As a beginner on this platform, I am learning a lot from this community.

7bd0d548
Community Member

Be carefull, you can get scolded or upwork may taken action on your profile if you hired many bad freelancers hence disputed many of them. 

Ely B wrote:

Be carefull, you can get scolded or upwork may taken action on your profile if you hired many bad freelancers hence disputed many of them. 

If you are replying to OP, do you realize that you are replying to a post from more than 3 years ago?
Is it just so you can go on with your complaints?

154ba352
Community Member

Hi G V,

Too bad, a lot of courage to you.

I totally agree with your concern about one of the two parties not respecting their commitments.

While new freelancers like me have a hard time getting our first contracts, others have so many that they can't honor their commitments. Difficult to understand.

I hope that Upwork will find a solution to your concern.

Moussa F.

4c5b9f71
Community Member

Multiple freelancers with 100% rating have left the project uncompleted. 

The fact that this happened from experienced freelancers is shocking.(plus it happened multiple times) 

Since I cannot see the private conversation so do not want to make any assumptions but as a freelancer here you do get punished when leaving a job unfinished, Jss, a negative review, a complaint against the freelancer (of course you'll have to show the evidence of you chst) 

The better place to have voiced this would be to the support team, since they will have all the variables of the agreement and what got violated. 

No one here can help you other that looking what you typed and offer you sympathetic comments , that will not redeem your time. 

Please connect with the support with the exact breach, since all conversations are here in the messenger of up work it should not be difficult. 

Please send a message updating us of how that goes 

Thank You 

tlsanders
Community Member

It sounds like you do an unusually poor job of choosing and managing freelancers. There are many clients here who have hired dozens or hundreds of freelancers without the drama you report. Upwork is very unlikely to change the way it runs it's platform to suit one unsuccessful client, so your time would likely be better spent educating yourself about how to choose and manage contractors. 

Upwork is very unlikely to change the way it runs it's platform to suit one unsuccessful client

Unless it is that 10% whale of a client 😁

I bet that client isn't unsuccessful.

dan1307
Community Member

When you talk about 20$ or 50$ budgets you get what you pay so i think the problem here is that you hire non experienced freelancers to start with. 

There is nothing wrong with hiring low-cost freelancers. As long as you hire enough of them.

It may take ten low-cost freelancers to complete a task that just one high-cost freelancer can do. But for certain projects, hiring those ten low-cost freelancers may indeed be the less expensive route to take. It obviously means more time and effort for the client, but the savings may be worth the extra effort.

So you are telling me that 10 unexperienced freelancers can provide what an experience one can? In my mind it will just end with 10 bad images instead of a good one

re: "So you are telling me that 10 unexperienced freelancers can provide what an experience one can?"

Often, yes.

It depends on the project.

re: "In my mind it will just end with 10 bad images instead of a good one"

That is a possibility.

But I often hire a mix of experienced and inexperienced freelancers, and find that inexperienced freelancers can provide great results!

That doesn't mean I find a permanent source of low cost/high quality work, though. It is common for a high-quality freelancer to quickly begin raising her rates once she gets a foothold on the platform and realizes she can charge more.

Interesting view, thank you :). I am not justifying raising rates, however i've been there so i can explain in certain cases what can happen. I have worked for a studio which would take 1k-2k per image. Doing freelance especially on upwork got the rates much lower (100-150$ per image is the minimum i can go for the amount of work i have to put in). However you can only see if it really worths for you after 1-3 jobs (you see how much quality the client needs, how many modifications are sent back and how much time you invest for the buck) I meet in the past clients with 100 budget providing references from top studios that charge even 5k per image (mir for example) A good collaboration between clients and freelancers in 2 words is time vs money.

sajal36
Community Member

Not able to understand your problem statement itself. You agreed for the job for 3-5 day timeline. However you think it is just 3-4 hours job by any professional. Than you end up waiting 3 weeks to get delivered incomplete job.

I believe you might want to relook on the problem statement and evaluate what exactly is the problem?

Latest Articles
Learning Paths