cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Punishing clients = draining jobs

Highlighted
Silverio F Member Since: May 3, 2016
1 of 14
As a client and being the one literally paying for Upwork's staff and for the providers' work with the jobs I post, I find it outrageous to be hit with a new almost 3% additional "payment fee". There is virtually no incentive for a client to use your service over others at this point. You can encourage a large job marketplace and long-term relationships with freelancers by ensuring the freelancers finish the jobs they apply for, by providing proper conflict resolution, etc. We'll gladly keep using them, trust me. In other words, by improving YOUR service, not on the backs of the job providers and freelancers alike. Punishing the clients is a sure way to drain capital and jobs from your marketplace. If you want to raise fees, do it on the provider side and let them adjust their bids accordingly. And do it moderately. 20% on jobs under $500? Really?! You are neither attracting jobs nor retaining freelance talent with this measure.
Frank D Member Since: May 3, 2016
BEST ANSWER
2 of 14

I miss Elance!

Starting out s a freelancer at Elance 17 years ago and now pay over $45k/year via Upwork as an agency, I am shocked that UpWork would start imposing a new fee for clients and simultaneously increase fees for their freelancers--effectively discouraging the continued use of their system. They say the reason is so they can continue investing in the system. But I doubt they will be able to continue at all once we all leave.

I like the Work Diary feature but it isn't worth the added expense for me or my team.  Paying via wire transfer or PayPal will be much more efficient. I will be hiring freelancers directly from now on and phasing out my use of Upwork. 

I'll keep my account open and may come back once they reverse this decision and become affordable again.

Alex S Member Since: Nov 30, 2015
3 of 14

It just seems like pure greed. I am totally shocked.

Community Leader
Simon W Member Since: Mar 7, 2008
4 of 14

@Frank D wrote:

I miss Elance!

Starting out s a freelancer at Elance 17 years ago and now pay over $45k/year via Upwork as an agency, I am shocked that UpWork would start imposing a new fee for clients and simultaneously increase fees for their freelancers--effectively discouraging the continued use of their system. They say the reason is so they can continue investing in the system. But I doubt they will be able to continue at all once we all leave.

I like the Work Diary feature but it isn't worth the added expense for me or my team.  Paying via wire transfer or PayPal will be much more efficient. I will be hiring freelancers directly from now on and phasing out my use of Upwork. 

I'll keep my account open and may come back once they reverse this decision and become affordable again.

I miss oDesk. It was always a better platform than Elance but it seems with Upwork what they have done is take all the worst aspects of each to make Upwork rather than taking the best. Then they have continually made it even worse than it initially was

Community Leader
Simon W Member Since: Mar 7, 2008
5 of 14

@Silverio F wrote:
As a client and being the one literally paying for Upwork's staff and for the providers' work with the jobs I post, I find it outrageous to be hit with a new almost 3% additional "payment fee". There is virtually no incentive for a client to use your service over others at this point. You can encourage a large job marketplace and long-term relationships with freelancers by ensuring the freelancers finish the jobs they apply for, by providing proper conflict resolution, etc. We'll gladly keep using them, trust me. In other words, by improving YOUR service, not on the backs of the job providers and freelancers alike. Punishing the clients is a sure way to drain capital and jobs from your marketplace. If you want to raise fees, do it on the provider side and let them adjust their bids accordingly. And do it moderately. 20% on jobs under $500? Really?! You are neither attracting jobs nor retaining freelance talent with this measure.

As a client you haven't been the one paying for Upworks staff. That's been us the freelancers. They have been gauging us ever since the switch from oDesk to this mess that is Upwork. As Freelancers we have been paying for services that are almost all client focused especially as whenever there is a dispute the whole system is setup to favour the client (even the payment guarantee is useless because we get forced to refund it because when a dispute is lost the client just rates us low which hinders our ability to get jobs so we then have to refund as that's the only way to remove it)

Its not good that they are charging both sides more but charging the clients so they contribute towards the services they get rather than charging us freelancers for features we get no benefit of (most of the freelancer benefits require us to pay for more connects)

6 of 14

I understand your points, but yes we are paying. Who pays you, so you can pay your fees? No providers, no jobs. You should be glad you pay more in fees, but should do so at a lower rate (which is the issue here, and what you should have mentioned).

I agree that freelancers need they voice heard.

Ace Contributor
Elizabeth B Member Since: Feb 17, 2015
7 of 14

You should be glad you pay more in fees

lol that's a new one

8 of 14

Hope that was tongue-in-cheek and you understood the original comment. Smiley Happy

Community Guru
Tiffany S Member Since: Jan 15, 2016
9 of 14

As a freelancer, I'm much more concerned about the deterrent effect of the client fee than the extra $50 maximum per client that the new fee structure could cost me.

Community Guru
Tonya P Member Since: Nov 26, 2015
10 of 14

Yes, I can set my fee to account for increases on my end but I can't prevent a client from leaving in protest over the processing charge. 

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS