cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Punishing clients = draining jobs

Ace Contributor
Pothi K Member Since: Mar 6, 2008
11 of 14

I always assume that it was my client/s who pays the Upwork fee. That's what I feel whenever I set up my rate so far in my profile. Now, suddenly, my clients have to pay 20% + 2.75% (until $500, and then 10% + 2.75%), just to use the tools provided by Upwork. A sudden increase from 10% to 22.75% (or 12.75% depending on how you look at it). All because of...

Smaller contracts cost us more to serve than larger projects.

No client would want to give a large project to a freelancer, without testing the skill by giving a small project to start with.

If you really wanted to refactor the fee structure, it should have been like...

-- 5% commission for first project between a freelancer and a client (of values less than $500)

-- 10% commission for consecutive projects above $500

-- 5% for commission for any project that goes over $10,000.

This helps clients and freelancers to build trust among each other.

What's done here is the opposite of what the platform requires. How many clients or freelancers are happy with your decision? I'd love to know why they feel so, if there are any.

Pothi
Randy R Member Since: May 3, 2016
12 of 14

I'm working on a small project with a great freelancer, I am the client.

I'm really amazed that Upwork charged the announced CC processing fee when they promised there would be no change on existing short-term jobs.

Sure, I can afford the few dollars involved, but I can also say I will never ever consider going through them again.

They could have avoided that feeling by simply keeping their word. If the reply is "but it is in writing", yes, they can change anything they like according to user agreements we sign when we start. But their behavior once we are paying clients is their real bond. Had they kept their word and waived the charge (on the last $50!!!) I might have considered using them again, if the freelancer was willing.

As it stands, my next project will have to be through a simlpler escrow service.

Like many, I regret the company Upwork bought and I'm sorry to see it gone.

Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
13 of 14

@Randy R wrote:

1) I'm really amazed that Upwork charged the announced CC processing fee when they promised there would be no change on existing short-term jobs.

[snip]

2) Had they kept their word and waived the charge (on the last $50!!!) I might have considered using them again, if the freelancer was willing.

1) It was made quite clear that the payment processing charge was coming into force including on existing contracts.

2) Because of $ 1.37 ? Wow.

Community Guru
Jennifer D Member Since: Feb 15, 2016
14 of 14

The "no change to existing jobs" was regarding the freelancer fee on existing contracts for relationships under $500. All the messaging to clients stated that it would be on all payments after the rollout date.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS