🐈
» Forums » Clients » Pushy, inappropriate agencies
Page options
cupidmedia
Community Member

Pushy, inappropriate agencies

Coming out of forum retirement to complain once again about completely inappropriate behavior from translation agencies. I have several jobs open currently where I am looking for legal translation at fairly short notice. Normally I say in the job that I don't want agencies, but because I need to cast a wider net than usual I decided to not rule out agencies in the job post. An agency applied for my Polish legal translation job, putting forward a Spanish freelancer. When I declined their proposal as an obvious qualifications mismatch, they somehow tracked down my personal Skype account and contacted me on there saying that they are an agency and they have a Polish translator.

I doubt they will read this but maybe other freelancers will: it is NEVER appropriate to continue to try to contact a client through channels outside Upwork if they have already declined you. Yes, even if you think they are wrong. You will not win their business. You will instead rule yourself out from ever being hired by that client, and any other clients they may know. Take the rejection and move on.

6 REPLIES 6
cupidmedia
Community Member

As I was also in conversation with the agency about the same job for another language, I discussed this with them and explained why I thought it was inappropriate behavior. They were receptive to my advice and understood why it is not a great idea to do this. So an acceptable outcome in the end!

g_vasilevski
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Hi Jennifer,

I`m sorry to hear about the bad experience you had with the agency.
Could you please send me a PM with the details about this and screenshots from the communication on Skype? Our team will investigate it further and proper actions will be taken. Thank you.

~ Goran
Upwork

Hi Goran, thanks for the offer. In this case I don't want to pursue this further. I've already discussed with the agency why it was inappropriate and a bad idea and they understood and apologised.

Yay!  A spotting of Jennifer D!!!

And so glad to see you broke that self-imposed exile, Jennifer D.  

Thanks ladies 🙂 I've been just too flat out busy to spend too much time in here! But I do occasionally stick my nose in 🙂

Latest Articles
Learning Paths