Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Quality of freelancers

Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
11 of 14

@Carlo P wrote:

1) The quality of applicants is declining, despite the fact that I am rated a 5 star employer with 107 reviews.

2) So you'd better do something about it or I will re-start to recruit outside and pay them on Paypal.

3) PS. Please remember that I am the customer and you are the SUPPLIER

1) Consider the possibility that the quality of the applicants is declining because you don't pay enough for the quality applicants to bother applying, so you're left with the rest.

2) What on earth is Upwork supposed to do about the fact that quality freelancers don't find your job postings and your rates attractive enough to spend their Connects on applying? It's Supply and Demand. If your offers are not attractive enough, and there are are better offers out there, the freelancers will go and apply for those.

Want better quality freelancers? Offer rates that make it worth their while to work with you. Simple. You get what you pay for.

Just as freelancers compete with other freelancers for the best contracts for their skill level, clients compete for the best freelancers with other clients. When there are 100 job postings, paying a range of rates, which ones do you think the experienced, high quality freelancers will apply for? The ones with the attractive rates, or the ones offering peanuts?

Threatening to to pay outside Upwork is not the smartest move, it can get your account suspended.

3) You've got this all wrong. THIS is the USER forum. It's a discussion forum.

Community Guru
Irene B Member Since: Feb 17, 2015
12 of 14

Actually....Upwork is not the supplier. It is a forum used by freelancers (please note the prefix....free) and clients to hook up. The client posts a job....the (free)lancer makes a bid...and the client is free to choose the bid he feels is best suited for the work which he wishes done.

The client pays once the job is done, and Upwork takes a % of the (free)lancer's earnings for the use of the site. Now, if I see a job offering $3/hour, and another offering, let's say $20/h....which would I use my available connects to apply for? Obviously the $20/h one.

Upwork does NOT find me jobs, nor do they pay me. I have to compete with a few million other (free)lancers to get the jobs I am really interested in and qualified to do. I am not saying there are not people who would not bid on the $3 job, but I am not one of them. Upwork is therefore not the supplier. I am. And I can offer to supply my services to whomever I chose.

My education cost me a lot of money, and my skills took time, sweat and tears to develop. I have bills to pay and need to earn a certain amount each month in order to do so. Wasting time on a job that takes hours of my time and paying next to nothing, is not a smart move on my part. I know what things cost where I live, therefore I know what the bare minimum is that I can AFFORD to work for. This is a fact.

I would therefore rather try to find two $20 per hour or more jobs, for example, than two $3 per hour ones. It just makes sound fiscal sense.

Community Guru
Cathleen C Member Since: Aug 17, 2015
13 of 14

"PS. Please remember that I am the customer and you are the SUPPLIER"

Sorry, Carlo. I am not in your market segment, but if I were, as a freelancer, I wouldn't want to work with you at all. I tend to look for clients who respect my abilities and my opinions, not treat me like that.

Community Guru
Mariska P Member Since: Apr 27, 2015
14 of 14

I'd like Preston to do something about the lack of great clients, apparently there's only 4 or 5 in my division and they're all mine! Smiley Happy Well, I share them but I'm good with that. lol Unfortunatley Preston doesn't have anything to do with what you're talking about because he doesn't own Upwork.

Preston does nothing but good for all types of freelancers here in 'his own way' which may or may not come off a bit hoity toity, but that's his personality here. How he is on his free time I don't know. 

Judging by how quick you react when you get an answer you don't like, this means to me that you're the same as a client. That doesn't sound encouraging to me, especially when you sound like you think freelancers are nothing more than employees that can be bossed around. 

If you gotta go, ya gotta go though. 

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS