cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question about partial payments

Tai An Z Member Since: Jun 29, 2019
1 of 4

I have used Upwork as both a client and freelancer, and as a freelancer I was only paid partially for a project that I worked on. Does the system make this possible?

As a client I would like to of course pay my freelancer the full amount if he/she does a good job. However, it is possible to pay partially or in stages? 

Aleksandar D Moderator Member Since: Mar 23, 2019
2 of 4

Hi Tai,

Thanks for reaching out to us. You can create a Fixed-Priced contract with multiple milestones. Milestones are a way to divide your fixed-price job into a series of deliverables based on your needs. They let you break a larger contract into more manageable chunks. Kindly, follow up on our Help Articles about Milestones for Fixed-Priced Jobs and how to Add and Edit Milestones. Let us know if you need further assistance.

Thank you.

~ Aleksandar
Untitled
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
3 of 4

Tai An Z wrote:

I have used Upwork as both a client and freelancer, and as a freelancer I was only paid partially for a project that I worked on. Does the system make this possible?

As a client I would like to of course pay my freelancer the full amount if he/she does a good job. However, it is possible to pay partially or in stages? 

In stages: Set up milestones.

Partial payment of a fixed rate milestone: Both client and freelancer can release/request amounts that differ from those funded, either up or down, by editing the amount field during submitting or releasing the milestone.

Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
4 of 4

re: "As a client I would like to of course pay my freelancer the full amount if he/she does a good job."

Tai An:

Below are general guidelines (NOT about your situation) about how a client should pay a freelancer with a fixed-price contract:

- Freelancer completes only part of the work:

Client should pay partial payment. For example, if the freelancer finished 50% of the work, the client should release 50% of the payment. Every honorable freelancer will accept and authorize this partial payment.

- Freelancer completes the task, and does a good job:

Client should release full payment. Client has the option to pay a bonus or pay extra, but is not obligated to do so.

- Freelancer completes the task, as specified, but the client doesn't like everything about the freelancer's stylistic choices, or the client thinks the freelancer "did a bad job":

Client must release full payment. Client may reflect his dissatisfaction in two key ways: By leaving honest feedback that reflects how he feels about the freelancer's work, and by choosing to not hire the freelancer again.

Freelancer completes the task, but really goes "above and beyond" in the job that she did, or did extra things that the client really needed:

Client must release full payment. The client IS NOT OBLIGATED TO PAY EXTRA, but the client probably should do so.

==========

Question: If the freelancer completes all aspects of the task as specified in the original agreement, but does not "do a good job," can the client release partial payment to penalize the freelancer?

Answer: No. This is unethical and unprofessional. Also, it is not possible to do that without the freelancer's agreement.

Advice: As a client, if you really feel that the freelancer's work misses the mark in terms of quality or something like that, then the best thing you can do for YOU and YOUR BUSINESS is to not waste time trying to train the freelancer how to do better, and not waste time trying to teach the freelancer a lesson by paying less. The best thing for your business is to release full payment and then work with other people. If you are not in the business of training and tutoring people, then you will save money by hiring the right people rather than finding ways to penalize the wrong people.

If a freelancer does not "do a good job", and you really want to spend some of your own effort and time to pursue this, then you DO have options:

- You may ask for revisions, and continue to ask for revisions

- You may discuss this with the freelancer, explain your reasoning, and ask her to accept a partial refund

- You may file an official dispute, which will involve Upwork officially. Keep in mind that a dispute does not mean Upwork decides who is wrong or right. A dispute means that Upwork mediators intervene and encourage the freelancer and client to work out their differences

- If a dispute fails to bring the matter to a resolution, you may pay $291 (non-refundable) to take the matter to binding arbitration.

TOP KUDOED MEMBERS