cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question for those who hire freelancers to help with big jobs.

65cc23cd
Active

My question is for those clients, who come to Upwork, to find freelancers to help fulfill their own job orders.

About half the jobs I look to do, the company specifically says that they only want people/companies in the US to apply. My company is based in the US. Now, for the jobs that don't specify this, when I need a freelancer, I post here, and look for who is most interested, to help with completing the job.

However, I often recieve a large amount of freelancer offers from outside the US, and on potential jobs that want people from the US only, I feel I can't apply, because of that stipulation. Is there a solution?

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
kat303
Community Guru

@Eddie S wrote:

My question is for those clients, who come to Upwork, to find freelancers to help fulfill their own job orders.

About half the jobs I look to do, the company specifically says that they only want people/companies in the US to apply. My company is based in the US. Now, for the jobs that don't specify this, when I need a freelancer, I post here, and look for who is most interested, to help with completing the job.

However, I often recieve a large amount of freelancer offers from outside the US, and on potential jobs that want people from the US only, I feel I can't apply, because of that stipulation. Is there a solution?

Eddie, I'm not a client, I'm a freelancer. If you feel that you can do this job, and that this job can be done online, then you can certainly apply for it. If the client needs someone to physically come to their office, that's another story and I'm sure you can understand why they would want someone locally. 

The client may have had some bad experiences with freelancer in other countries. If your proposal is good enough, you may very well get the job even though it's listed  from XX only. I once posted a job, and specifically listed freelancers from the U.S. ONLY because it involved maining the finished product to me.... or so I thought. But I got a Fantastically written proposal from a freelancer from India who was able to accomplish what I needed through the internet. I hired him and he turned out to be awesome.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
lysis10
Community Guru

your use of the phrase "job order" is curious indeed

If someone wants someone from the US and you are farming out work to someone, in ur expert opinion what do you think is the solution to the "problem?"

kat303
Community Guru

@Eddie S wrote:

Eddie, I'm not a client, I'm a freelancer. If you feel that you can do this job, and that this job can be done online, then you can certainly apply for it. If the client needs someone to physically come to their office, that's another story and I'm sure you can understand why they would want someone locally. 

The client may have had some bad experiences with freelancer in other countries. If your proposal is good enough, you may very well get the job even though it's listed  from XX only. I once posted a job, and specifically listed freelancers from the U.S. ONLY because it involved maining the finished product to me.... or so I thought. But I got a Fantastically written proposal from a freelancer from India who was able to accomplish what I needed through the internet. I hired him and he turned out to be awesome.

kochubei_valeria
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Eddie,

Please, note that if you subcontract, you can only do it for fixed-price contracts and need to make the client aware that a different freelancer is working on their project.

Please, check article 8.2 of the User Agreement for more information

~ Valeria
Upwork
cupidmedia
Community Guru

I would assume that if a client has specified they want a freelancer in the US, and you are going to subcontract to a freelancer who is NOT in the US, then the client would not be happy, especially if you're not making it clear that you're subcontracting.

As a client I personally don't care where a freelancer is based - that's kind of the point of freelancers. But if a client *does* care, then you should respect that.

Hi Jennifer

I really appreciate the way you take it.

As per my experience in upwork, I have seen so many job post where in I can really work online but due to US only limitation, I couldn't even reply. And in such requiremnts it doesn't matter where a freelancer is located. As long as the freelancer is an expert who can deliver the business needs and responsible to work remotely online. So, I been thinking about discussing this to someone in the community. And luckily, I am in this thread.

When I worked as full time employee in NMNc, all the projects I did for 7 years were for US corporate clients and all remote only.

I think, it would be great if clients look for best talents globally not just from US only option provided that requirements can be handle remotely though system and online., not physical presence is needed.

Finally but not the least, appreciate you once again, Jennifer!

Thanks

Romen

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS