🐈
» Forums » Clients » Raise a complaint about a freelacer
Page options
18f25b47
Community Member

Raise a complaint about a freelacer

The freelancer below I hired last year left the project halfway (website design) and stopped replying to my messages. I understand there were delays on my side due tomy client's lack of communication but, it’s been over 2 months now and I have no way to handover the project to another digital designer as I don't understand what has been done to the website. I’m desperate to solve this as my own client is about to fire me but I have no way to contact him other than through Upwork. 

I would like to raise a complaint and get my money back considering the project was not finalized. 

**Edited for community guidelines**

12 REPLIES 12
prestonhunter
Community Member

Joana:
I like to see clients realize the POWER that they have.

Clients with knowledge about how to use Upwork have POWER and can accomplish their goals more quickly and efficiently.

A big part of obtaining this power is as a client is learning what you can do directly without contacting Upwork Customer Support.

As a client, I have hired over 120 freelancers on Upwork. I have never had to contact Upwork Customer Support to help me manage my projects or manage the freelancers that I hire. This is NOT because all freelancers on Upwork are perfect. Some of them are awesome. Some of them are terrible. This is to be expected. But Upwork provides me with all of the tools I need to manage freelancers and projects directly. Without waiting on help from somebody else.

re: "The freelancer below I hired last year left the project halfway (website design) and stopped replying to my messages."

A client never needs to contact Upwork Customer Support when a freelancer stops replying to messages. During the course of any significant project, it is normal to experience personnel turnover.

Plan for this.

Make sure that the source code and other files for your project are always under your control, in a formal repository or other centralized location.

As a client, do I "raise a complaint" about such a freelancer?

No.

I assign tasks to other members of my team.

If I need a C-21 FS module done by Tuesday, and I assigned that to Jack, but have not heard anything from Jack for the past few days, then I will assign the task to Debbie. This is a simple concept.

re: "I would like to raise a complaint and get my money back considering the project was not finalized."

If you want to stop working with one of the freelancers on your team, then do so. You do not need Upwork's permission for that.

If you have not heard from Jack for a few weeks, or months, then go ahead and close Jack's contract. You may leave accurate, appropriate feedback that reflects your experience with Jack.

Based on your description of events, I see no basis for "raising a complaint." I'm not sure how that would benefit anybody, any way. If Jack has not violated any Upwork ToS, then the complaint would go no where and do nothing.

If you close Jack's contract and leave feedback, that feedback would be actually seen by people: Other prospective clients. Your feedback might include a note stating that you assigned Jack to a task, and then he disappeared and you never heard from him again and you eventually closed the contract.

As for getting your money back:
It is not Upwork's intention that clients hire freelancers, and then pay the freelancers for their work, and then later ask for the money back. I don't see any basis for you to ask for any money back.

But you may read more about how to get money back in these links:

https://support.upwork.com/hc/en-us/articles/211062158-Dispute-an-Agency-or-Freelancer-s-Hours

https://support.upwork.com/hc/en-us/articles/211062058-Get-an-Escrow-Refund

https://support.upwork.com/hc/en-us/articles/211062088-Request-a-Refund

In my opinion:

Refund thinking hurts clients.

One of the most powerful, effective ways that you can save time and money as a client is to proactively decide that you will never file a dispute or ask for a refund, no matter what.

Joana:

I am on your side, and I want you to succeed in your Upwork hiring efforts. If you have any questions at all, then feel free to ask. There are tons of people here in the Community Forum who are rooting for you and will be happy to answer your questions and help you move forward.

Hi Preston,

I can clearly see this is a templated message to dissuade clients from asking for refunds and not pursue complaints. Considering your examples do not apply to my case, I don’t have a team to assign tasks to, the freelancer I hired is not called Jack and I do want to stop working with him.

I don’t see where a freelancer leaving a job half done and stop communicating is acceptable. As a small business owner, I relied heavily on this designer who left me hanging and I have lost a client because of it. 

So, I would appreciate not being spoken to in such a patronizing manner and unless you belong to the customer support team, you should not even be replying to my topic.

re: "I can clearly see this is a templated message to dissuade clients from asking for refunds and not pursue complaints."

I can assure you that this is not a templated message.

I don't represent Upwork officially.

I don't use templated message.

Everything I wrote here was written specifically in response to your post.

My intention is NOT to dissuade clients from asking for refunds and pursuing complaints.

My intention is to help you.

re: "Considering your examples do not apply to my case, I don’t have a team to assign tasks to, the freelancer I hired is not called Jack and I do want to stop working with him."

Of course the freelancer you hired is not named Jack.

This is name I picked at random to help explain and illustrate these principles.

You should disregard those aspects of my examples and explanations which do not apply to you. You are welcome to learn from what I have written inasmuch as it applies to you and helps you.

re: "So, I would appreciate not being spoken to in such a patronizing manner and unless you belong to the customer support team, you should not even be replying to my topic."

You have not been spoken to in a patronizing manner.

You have been provided with helpful, useful information.

I can assure you that I am not a member of the customer support team.

You did not post your message in the Upwork Customer Support Forum.

You posted your message in the Community Forum. It is true that sometimes Upwork personnel post messages here. But MOST of what is written in the this Forum is written by members of the Upwork community, mainly freelancers and clients. That why it is called the "Community Forum."

re: "I don’t see where a freelancer leaving a job half done and stop communicating is acceptable. As a small business owner, I relied heavily on this designer who left me hanging and I have lost a client because of it."

Who here has said that it is acceptable?
I didn't.

I did, however, provide you with accurate information about how Upwork works. I informed you that when a freelancer leaves a job half done and stops communicating with you, this is not the basis for getting any money back. Also, this is not a valid basis for "filing a complaint."

You are welcome to think whatever you want about how the Upwork system lacks functionality that you would like to see it have. You can even post messages here in the Forum advocating for changes to the Upwork system. For example, you could post a message in which you say that, as a client, you would like to see some process or tool that lets a client post a complaint about a freelancer who leaves a job half done. Or you could say that you would like to see some provision within Upwork's policies that allows a client to get money back if a freelancer leaves a job half done.

But there currently are no such tools, policies or provisions.

By providing you with information about how Upwork actually works right now, and what your options are, I have provided with you with information and power. This is more helpful than if I had tried to mislead you, or if I had implied that contacting Upwork Customer Support will somehow fix your problems for you.

One of the best things you could do right now is to understand that you will be better off if you fix things yourself rather than try to contact Upwork Customer Support about matters that they can do nothing to help you with.

re: "I don’t have a team to assign tasks to"

Whose fault is that?

This is your responsibility.

If you hired one freelancer to do some tasks, and they stopped working on those tasks, then the obvious question is:

Why didn't you assign somebody else to work on those tasks?

If you want to succeed as a client who commissions complex projects from freelancers, then it is important to understand that if you hire a freelance developer to work on a development project, it is not that freelancer's responsibility to complete the project. And it is not Upwork's responsibility. It is the project manager's responsibility to see the project through to completion.

Right. Thank you for the patronizing, unsolicited, and useless advice, Preston. 

I’m solving this issue with the Upwork Escalations Team, not someone who does not ‘officially’ work for Upwork. 

re: "I’m solving this issue with the Upwork Escalations Team, not someone who does not work for Upwork."

I wish you well.

I hope you will let us know how it turns out.

Anything you can tell us about your experience resolving an issue like this with Upwork Customer Support can only enlighten and benefit readers of this thread.

Although this thread is about a year old, Preston is correct.

The following is not necessarily directed at Preston, but the OP.
Wall of text does not equate to being patronizing.

Client is responsible for vetting and making a good hiring decision.  As a small business owner, this is a universal truth.  If the freelancer bails out halfway through the project, maybe the client needs to do a better job vetting their potential hires.  This is no different than interviewing employees for long term employment.  Also understand that you'll never win them all, learn to roll with the punches and develop resiliance - things happen - if any small business cannot master this fact, they are destined for ruin.

Freelancer left and disappeared - ok, deal with it and move on.  Close the contract, leave feedback (I'd suggest not), hire someone else.  This is what you do when your employees stop showing up for work, its no different here.

Client admits there were communication issues on their end as well - so how do you know the freelancer wasnt sitting and waiting on the client for several weeks?  What if the freelancer was not given any heads up and left hanging?  This has happened to me - clients literally disappear for weeks without so much as a heads up.  Its disprespectful of my time, it gives me no warning, and I sit idle not knowing if I can take on other projects.  Guess what happens?  I follow up and if I don't get a response, that client goes directly to the bottom of my priority list - I'll get to their stuff whenever I get around to it.  Respect is a two-way street.

My advice is to message the freelancer.  If you're not getting any response, close the contract and move on.  Don't leave any feedback at all.  From the sound of the original post, you're not the best communicator either.  Learn from it and move on, freelancers deal with this all the time.

Preston, it is pretty patronizing to have you send a wall of text in response to a person's questions that do not answer the person's questions, but rather sit in judgement of what they should do instead. The client is not asking your advice about what to do. She has decided what she wants to do, and she is asking how she can do that. 

You may not intend to come off as patronizing, but how you address people who come here wanting information about how to request a refund is patronizing. I'm not saying that I disagree with your point, but your tactics in making that point don't actually help you in educating clients on avoiding refund thinking. 

prestonhunter
Community Member

re: "I would like to raise a complaint and get my money back considering the project was not finalized."

When a client hires a freelancer using an hourly contract, the client is billed based on the hours logged by the freelancer.

Whether or not a project is finallized has nothing to do with billing.

When a client hires a freelancer using a fixed-price contract, the freelancer submits work, and then the client receives the work, stores it in her own personal archive, reviews the work, and then releases payment only after she has received and reviewed the work and determined that it is complete.

Fixed-price contracts are based on releasing payment for specific deliverables.

This has nothing to do with whether or not an entire project is "finalized."

Nothing in Upwork documentation or the user interface suggests that a "project not being finalized" is in any way tied to getting money back.

BojanS
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Joana,

I'm sorry to hear about your experience with this freelancer. I have escalated this concern to our executive escalations team. They have reached out to you already via this support ticket and will further assist you directly.

Thanks so much for your patience!

~ Bojan
Upwork
eaa1512e
Community Member

How to Become a Freelancer

Nowadays, when someone is asked what they are doing, I am a freelancer. This phrase is being spoken everywhere, not between one or two friends, but in every family and everywhere. What is freelancing and what to do to become a freelancer. 

re: "What is freelancing and what to do to become a freelancer."

In a sense, nobody "is a freelancer."

In another sense, we "are all freelancers."

if your goal is to "be a freelancer," then I can NOT hire you.

I can not pay you money.

If your goal is to actually know about something, and be good at something.... Something very specific, then maybe I can hire you.

NOBODY wants to "hire a freelancer."
But there are millions of clients who need help with a specific task.

jeremiah-brown
Community Member

Your client?  I'll be blunt - being a middleman or middlewoman and having to relay between a client and freelancer is a recipe for disaster.  As a freelancer, I don't even take these jobs because 90% of the time I have to deal with people who don't have a clue whats going on.

The few that I have taken on have been extremely lucrative, simply because I have the initial work, and then have to bill for all the corrections because the middleman is playing telephone between the client and myself.

It sounds like there was poor communication on your part as well.

So, I guess the question is - how would you like it if the shoe were on the other foot?  Trying to file a complaint about a freelancer when you have issues as well is akin to throwing stones and living in a glass house.

Latest Articles
Learning Paths