cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Raised rate, job shows in history with no feedback?

Community Guru
Jennifer D Member Since: Feb 15, 2016
1 of 8

I recently raised the rate for one of my freelancers on an existing contract (without ending the contract and starting again). The contract is now showing in both his freelancer history and my client history with "No feedback given". I have no option to give him feedback either that I can find. The rate change happened on May 16, so more than 14 days ago, but if I did have an option before the 14 day feedback window for ended contracts expired I was never prompted to use it.

I'm concerned about this for a couple of reasons:

1) Does this count as a job with no feedback in his JSS calculation?

2) Is it going to keep showing in my client history and make it look like I'm a client who doesn't give feedback?

I'm renegotiating rates with ALL my freelancers right now as part of an annual review, and so most of their rates will change. This means that I'll end up with a long list of "no feedback given" jobs in my client history. I'm concerned that this will make freelancers less likely to apply for my jobs, because they'll think I don't give feedback, when I always do.

Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
2 of 8

Jennifer, Raising the rate creates kind of a hybrid between a new contract and an ongoing one, but you can fix that!

In your client profile, go to Freelancers > Past Hires > Find the (old rate) contract under the freelancer's name, click on the contract - > Leave Feedback

past hires1.jpg

past hires.jpg

OK - I just noticed that you didn't get it done on time Smiley Sad

Never mind, can still be fixed: Get the freelancer to find the contract under their contracts > view all contracts page, click on the contract, and then the "enable client to change feedback" option.

You can also click on the "enable freelancer to change feedback" option on the ended contract (find it as above) then you can both leave feedback for each other

Ignore the fact that it seems somewhat counterintuitive to click to change something that was never done in the first place. (roll eyes) - main thing is to fix it!

enable feedback.jpg

Community Guru
3 of 8

Thanks for the detailed explanation Petra - but he doesn't show in the "Past Hires" list at all (even though I have actually previously ended a contract and started a new one with the same person). He shows in my "Hired" list and I can see 2 contracts under his name - the previous one that I ended a couple years ago and the current one that I changed the rate on. On the old one I can see the feedback we exchanged back in 2013 (and I have the "Enable freelancer to change feedback" link). On the new one I can see in the history that I adjusted his rate, but no feedback.

I'm wondering if, for my other freelancers, I might be better off "ending" their contracts and starting new ones at their new rates? Previously when freelancers have requested a rate change, I've offered to do it that way so that I can give them feedback (and they can give me feedback), and some of them take me up on it and some don't.

Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
4 of 8

@Jennifer D wrote:

I'm wondering if, for my other freelancers, I might be better off "ending" their contracts and starting new ones at their new rates? Previously when freelancers have requested a rate change, I've offered to do it that way so that I can give them feedback (and they can give me feedback), and some of them take me up on it and some don't.

I would do it that way every time anyway, and considering this especially!  friend of mine lost her Rising Talent status because the client changed the contract from fixed to hourly, which created the same situation, but in her case my workaround worked fine, and in the past it has worked fine in situations of rate changes. Maybe something changed since I last looked into it.

I know that I have seen Valeria mention that such contracts are somehow consolidated / combined in some way (I must say I wasn't paying much attention at the time to be honest), but that does not negate the short term impact (if any) the situation has on your and the freelancer's feedback history and JSS...

Vladimir G Moderator Member Since: Oct 31, 2014
5 of 8

Hi Jennifer, 

Could you please pm the freelancer's details, so I can check?

Community Guru
6 of 8

Done, Vladimir, thanks.

Vladimir G Moderator Member Since: Oct 31, 2014
7 of 8

Hi Jennifer,

Thanks for sending me the details. I've checked and can confirm the status of the original job you see now in the freelancer's Work History will change from not having feedback to in progress as soon as the first payment with the increased rate is processed, which should happen in two weeks from now based on the details I've seen. You don't need to end the contract in order to raise your freelancer's rate, as the contract in question is still active and won't affect the freelancer's Job Success Score negatively.

We're also updating the way these contracts are displayed and will be making an announcement soon.

Community Guru
8 of 8

Thanks Vladimir, I see Valeria's announcement post now. The one thing I think is still a bit confusing is that if I change a freelancer's rate, the new rate shows on their profile with their total hours and amount billed. So, for example, say I was paying a freelancer $20 an hour and they have billed 100 hours so far, their total earned would be $2000 and that is what shows on their profile - "100 hours, $20/hr, $2,000 earned". But if I change their rate to, say, $25, it now says "100 hours, $25/hr, $2,000 earned", which, when you do the math, doesn't add up. So, while I like that it doesn't keep creating new contracts, it's still a bit off. I'm going to cross-post this on the announcement post also.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS