Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Ratings go from 1 to 5

Highlighted
Community Guru
Scott E Member Since: Jul 26, 2015
11 of 18

I'm not saying somebody should be penalised for not going above and beyond the call of duty though, I'm saying they should be penalized for not doing a decent job... and that should encompass everything that goes along with creating the actual end-product, not just the end product itself. 

Yes, if everything about the job has been specified by the client like in your example, or specified by the freelancer and then accepted by the client... and the freelancer meets those specifications, then that's a five. But I've never seen, and have never submitted a proposal, that has detailed absolutely everything that could reasonably be expected when it comes to everything under the scoring criteria. I.e. how rude/polite I will be in emails, how easy it will be for me to explain concepts to the client and for me to understand what they are looking for, exactly how long I will respond to emails after receipt, a breakdown of how good I'll be at problem solving, how organised I will be etc etc.

Like if you buy tickets to a concert. You're going to that concert with the understanding that one of your favourite bands will be there and they'll play some of their songs. That's what's expected. If they don't turn up or don't play any songs then I think we can agree that they're not going to get five stars... but if they turn up, play two songs while looking miserable, and then clear off without an encore... should we still give them five stars because they didn't do anything less than was expected? 

Don't get me wrong, when it comes to Upwork, if somebody does a good job, in a good way, and I get what I was expecting, then I think they're worth five stars. The thing is, not everyone does good work.   

"Welcome, humans. I'm ready for you!"
- Box, Logan's Run (1976)
Highlighted
Community Guru
Lisa W Member Since: Nov 14, 2015
12 of 18

@Scott E wrote:

Yes, if everything about the job has been specified by the client like in your example, or specified by the freelancer and then accepted by the client... and the freelancer meets those specifications, then that's a five. But I've never seen, and have never submitted a proposal, that has detailed absolutely everything that could reasonably be expected when it comes to everything under the scoring criteria. I.e. how rude/polite I will be in emails, how easy it will be for me to explain concepts to the client and for me to understand what they are looking for, exactly how long I will respond to emails after receipt, a breakdown of how good I'll be at problem solving, how organised I will be etc etc.

This is exactly the point I'm making. All of these issues are based on personal preference, not true performance. For example, I prefer to communicate through email. I'll do a phone call if I have to, I don't do Skype. If a specific type of communication is not specified in the job description or during the interview process, does a client have a right to ding me for communication, even though I am willing to respond at all hours of the day and night through email? If a client wants me to work indefinitely but I'm not willing, does that mean I deserve to get dinged on availability because I wouldn't agree to work forever?

I think a good contractor will generally get along with good clients, although there may be issues here and there. However, unless Upwork is willing to specify exactly what contractors should be 'dinged' for, it's all a matter of subjective preference and those little stars may end up having zero to do with actual performance and more to do with a client (or contractor's) annoyance at some minor aspect of the job even when the job itself is done successfully.

Highlighted
João P Member Since: Dec 11, 2013
13 of 18

When someone studies law or any humanistic science, is subject during the degree to a less objective evaluation approach. But that does not imply that the default score is always the maximum. Nevertheless, as one goes on, on their degree, the average score tends to be more reliable, as the outliers' weight is diminished.

The same with upwork. As more projects you do, the average score tends to be more reliable and less influenced by outilers. But again, that doesn't mean that the default score is always the top and getting anything different from the top, shall be interpreted as a penalty. Ratings go from 1 to 5. Hence 3 is positive.

Highlighted
João P Member Since: Dec 11, 2013
14 of 18

When a Job is great I give 5.0, and I have given bonuses.

But I remind that there are several aspects to evaluate and not just the quality of the job, but also cooperation and adherance to schedule. Shall I put those at 5 as well when they were not fulfilled? Furthermore, I have already to reply to a specific question whether the job was successfully completed.

If is simply to give always 5 as standard, make it like Uber and ask me to evaluate only one overall feature.

And the completion of the job is not so binary as you mentioned. The job can be "concluded" in several different ways: with zeal (or not), with care (or not), with quality (or not) and that makes a HUGE difference.

Ace Contributor
Maggie C Member Since: Jul 20, 2015
15 of 18

It's good to understand the implications of the ratings to the JSS. A rating of  7 out of 10 is good when you are asked if you would recommend a freelancer but it is as good as not there for the freelancer because it's not recognized. In the 'clients who would rate you' statistic it will be 0%.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Ela K Member Since: Feb 9, 2015
16 of 18

@Maggie C wrote:

It's good to understand the implications of the ratings to the JSS . A rating of 8 out of 10 is good when you are asked if you would recommend a freelancer but it is as good as not there for the freelancer because it's not recognized. In the clients who would rate you it will be 0%

Yes, it is helpful to understand the impact of ratings on the JSS.

Not helpful: to share incorrect information.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Hanna N Member Since: Jun 17, 2015
17 of 18

I think the problem with the star reviews is that people liken it to rating a movie, where giving a 5/5 would be outstanding. However, the way UpWork treats feedback is rather like eBay - 5/5 means satisfaction, anything below it means something was unsatisfactory. I'm sure anyone who's ordered something on eBay has received one of those "please rate us 5/5 if you were satisfied, if not contact us first" -messages. That's what UpWork is becoming - partly because the past inflation of feedbacks makes anyone with less than perfect scores look bad, partly because of the way UpWork treats these scores.

If you have received a private feedback that is less than 8/10, your JSS dips. If you have passed a deadline on a milestone payment, your JSS dips (even if you pass it because the client has been busy and that's why you haven't been able to complete the work). If you have too many inactive contracts, your JSS dips. If you have too many contracts with no feedback, JSS dips. 

As JSS is what our livelihoods here pretty much depend on - it's the first thing clients see of us, and one of the requirements to get Top Rated status - this creates an atmosphere of panic. This is why many contractors feel forced to bug clients with things such as leaving feedback, closing contracts and providing top ratings. If we don't, it can hurt our livelihood.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Will L Member Since: Jul 9, 2015
18 of 18

Upwork's freelancer rating system is such a black box and so obviously flawed the best a freelancer can do is perform to the best of their ability on each project and hope for the best when the client gives their performance a rating.

Client feedback is always going to be inconsistent between different clients and even irrelevant to the actual performance by the freelancer. (One client was unhappy I didn't provide unlimited service on a fixed price contract - he was young and really didn't understand how the real world works.)

Unfortunately, Upwork does not provide important feedback that was very helpful with Elance - information about which freelancer won each job.

More important then getting exorcised about the weaknesses of the current freelancer rating system, if Upwork would tell us which freelancer wins each project we have bid on that would be genuinely useful information to me as a freelancer. I know I can do a superior job on the proposals I win, so winning more proposals is what really matters to me.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS