🐈 Community
feb62bf0

Ratings

I am going insane with an expectation from freelancers of a perfect rating of 5 stars. I have experienced this now five times, being requested for a perfect rating and even been threatened once by a freelancer who was going to withold work from me already paid for.

The freelancers tell me if they don't have 5 stars they don't get work however; clients recognise that the rating means nothing and this will only get worse with Upwork loosing credibility as the rating becomes meaningless.

Upwork management need to urgently address this please.

I do not want to have this conversation ever again with a freelancer, it is incredibly rude to be told you must score 5 stars when no-one is perfect. The star rating has to mean something.

I look forward to a response from Upwork on how they can address this serious credibility issue within the culture of freelancers.

7 REPLIES 7
tlsanders

As a freelancer, I totally agree with you. 5 stars for everything all the time is nonsense--it just masks the five stars given to someone who really goes above and beyond or does a stellar job and makes it impossible for anyone to really stand out.

That said, the truth is that there are enough clients playing the "five stars if nothing was wrong" game and enough freelancers who expect it that a freelancer with a 4.7 rating really suffers...not just subjectively when clients look at that rating, but also in the calculation of Job Success Scores, that freelancer's chances of showing up in searches, etc.

Hollie, the behavior you describe from these freelancers is inexcusable.

You are right to be ticked off.

@Preston H wrote:

Hollie, the behavior you describe from these freelancers is inexcusable.

You are right to be ticked off.

Yes. Definitely did not mean to suggest otherwise, just to point out that the rating system was more broken than just a set a badly behaved freelancers.

It's not just an Upwork problem, either. Many companies that survey customers specifically say, "If don't feel you can give a 5 in any area, please tell us what we did wrong."

To me "you didn't do anything wrong" does not equal 5 stars. 

Don't worry, Tiffany... My initial post here was written only in response to the original poster's comments. I had not seen what you wrote when I posted. We're totally on the same page here.

aocumen
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Hollie, 

It is a violation of the Upwork ToS to coerce a client for a rating in exchange of the work done. I checked your account and couldn't see the freelancer/s in question. May I recommend that you lodge a ticket to support with screen grabs of your chat with your freelancer so that the team can take appropriate action. 

~ Avery
Upwork

Hollie wrote, "it is incredibly rude to be told you must score 5 stars when no-one is perfect. The star rating has to mean something."

While I agree that demanding 5 stars is rude, I disagree that it shouldn't be given because 'no-one' [sic] is perfect. As the saying goes, 'practice makes perfect.' The adage no one is perfect acknowledges that humans can err, but not that they can never execute a task perfectly. Supposing a student scores 100% on a multiple choice test, should the instructor lower the grade by a few percentage points to maintain the no one is perfect principle? Furthermore, I challenge any one who objects to 5 star ratings on principle to show me a link to an Upwork article or other document stating that 5 stars should only given on the occasion of 'perfect' work.

A genuinely professional contractor doesn't discuss the score at all.

A contractor should do the work that was agreed upon in a professional manner and ask the client to close the contract when the work is done.

In closing the contract, a client is required to leave feedback. It is not necessary for a contractor to ask the client to do so.

Is it "acceptable" under Upwork ToS for a contractor to ask a client to leave honest feedback? Yes.

Do I do so? No, I do not.

I don't discuss feedback scores or the Job Success Scores with clients.

Learning Paths