cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Receiving no or only irrelevant freelancer proposals

Florian A Member Since: Mar 22, 2016
1 of 34

I was very active on Elance and never experienced this issue. It seems like Upwork has an issue they are not aware of. When I talk to customer support they have no clue what is going on. I tried it several times now because it's just annoying and makes me quit Upwork when this is not fixed.

The issue is simple: I post a job for example "web content about this or that" with a valid description and adding article writing and similar as skills.

What is happening is this:

1) The Upwork recommendations to invite are WAY off. And with way off I mean really totally irrelevant like php or app developers. Has nothing to do with this job at all.

2) The amount of proposals I receive is ridicolous, maybe 2 or 3.

3) The proposals I get is even more ridicolous - most of the time freelancers presenting good reasons why it's advisable not to work with them (like bad reputations, clearly no qualifications for the job, did not even bother reading the description, low rate of finished jobs and so on).

So what is going on here? I almost have a 5 star rating, pay fair rates and see no reason why good freelancers don't bid. I know it's an Upwork algorithm issue but it seems they are not aware of it. I can't explain my customer support discussions otherwise. They really suggested to search for freelancers manually and invite them (for a $20 web content job...). That's all they do (and care about as it seems).

I'd appreciate any thoughts on this. I know that not all clients have this issue (as we posted the very same jobs with different accounts and got very different proposals).

Community Guru
Stephen B Member Since: Dec 4, 2012
2 of 34

" I know it's an Upwork algorithm issue but it seems they are not aware of it. "

My guess is they're extremely well aware of it, but in a constant state of denial about it.

Moran B Member Since: Mar 22, 2016
3 of 34

Interesting.... Im new in here and its been 3 weeks since I post and only got 3 offers. In addition, like you mentioned Upwork recommendations are completly off. I thought im doing something wrong. Any suggestions here?

Community Guru
Irene B Member Since: Feb 17, 2015
4 of 34

If it is any consolation, freelancers are in the same boat, metaphorically speaking. You should see some of the recommended jobs we get. As an example, I have received jobs where I am recommended to apply for translation of Mandarin into English. I do not do translations (except in rare circumstances, and certainly not mandarin) and do not have it listed as a skill.

Community Guru
Wendy C Member Since: Aug 24, 2015
5 of 34

Florian,

The best suggestion is to not rely on U. to provide any sort of recommendation as to freelancers. Turn it off; don't check the box - I'm not sure how it is configured.

Even on E the recommendations were wonky; here it is disasterous.

Your best bet is to write a good RFP, include needed info and set a fair price range.  Find a couple of providers who are stellar and then use them for as many jobs as possible.

Developing a good and on-going relationship w/ your freelancers is the best way to go. You indicated you had success on E;  send private invites to only those providers and go from there. 

Good luck!

Florian A Member Since: Mar 22, 2016
6 of 34

I know your intentions are good but for working with established freelancers I don't need a platform like Upwork. I only use it because it is pretty comfortable. But the most important part is to outsource very different tasks efficiently. This cannot be done with a bad algo that does not allow freelancers to find the right jobs and make bids on it.

I assume it's time to leave Upwork when this does not improve immediately.

This widget could not be displayed.
7 of 34
This widget could not be displayed.

Many freelancers get irrelevant invitations and recommendations. I find all my jobs by searching the relevant job offers myself. So the best way (not the fastest) is that clients search for suitable freelancers and send invitations to them.

Community Guru
Wendy C Member Since: Aug 24, 2015
8 of 34

Margarete is right.  If you need a greater variety of skills than relying solely on folks you've worked with in the past - as a buyer it behooves you to do a relatively specific search for skills and then invite those people.

FWIW - we hate the messed up algo as much as you do.  Smiley Happy

Community Guru
David G Member Since: Oct 6, 2011
9 of 34

@Irene B wrote:

As an example, I have received jobs where I am recommended to apply for translation of Mandarin into English. I do not do translations (except in rare circumstances, and certainly not mandarin) and do not have it listed as a skill.

I get a fair amount of these as well and I don't understand why. Nothing in my profile mentions Mandarin or translations, but I get jobs looking for Mandarin translations.

Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
10 of 34

a) I hope $20 was just an example. It seems maybe people of value are figuring out that $20 ain't worth the electrons to send the bid.

b) article writing is a terrible section filled with junk all around... clients and freelancers

c) You might be one of those people asking for experts but posting in the $ range. Again, not worth the electrons.

d) Maybe the connect system actually does have an effect on filtering out bad clients as well. Interesting that no one wants to spend the connects on an alleged well-detailed project. No one wastes their time with low paying jobs, and these low rate job posters disappear. Interesting. If this is true, well played Upwork.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS