🐈
» Forums » Clients » Reducing payment
Page options
122ef497
Community Member

Reducing payment

Hello, I have hired a freelancer for a task that was not fullfiled. We agreed to lowering the final payment from $45 to $30 but I am not sure on how to do this. Could you please help?

4 REPLIES 4
BojanS
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Nadine, 

You won't be able to reduce the agreed amount but you can both close the contract if the project is finished.
In this case, when a contract is closed you can go to the Contract Room, choose the extended (…) menu under the freelancer’s name, and select “Request a Refund”.  Please read this Hel Article for further instructions and communicate with your freelancer in order to resolve the situation amicably.

Update: Apologies for the confusion, I can confirm Petra’s comment. When you are ready to release the milestone payment, you will be presented with the option of editing the payment amount of the milestone. You can read more here about this. Thank you!

~ Bojan
Upwork
petra_r
Community Member

@Bojan S wrote:

You won't be able to reduce the agreed amount but you can both close the contract if the project is finished.
In this case, when a contract is closed you can go to the Contract Room, choose the extended (…) menu under the freelancer’s name, and select “Request a Refund”.

OF COURSE Nadine can reduce the amount to be paid out. All that needs to be done is editing the amount while making the payment. That pays the agreed amount to the freelancer and once the contract is closed it generates a request to return the remaining funds to her payment method.

Absolutely no need for messing about with  paying first and then requesting a refund.

@Petra R wrote:

OF COURSE Nadine can reduce the amount to be paid out. All that needs to be done is editing the amount while making the payment. That pays the agreed amount to the freelancer and once the contract is closed it generates a request to return the remaining funds to her payment method.

Absolutely no need for messing about with  paying first and then requesting a refund.

Also, since the client and freelancer have come to an agreement, can't the freelancer request a lower amount when submitting the milestone? This is what I've done occasionally when I've quoted higher than what the job was worth.

@Isabelle Anne A wrote:

Also, since the client and freelancer have come to an agreement, can't the freelancer request a lower amount when submitting the milestone?

Sure, but that requires two steps instead of one 🙂

Latest Articles
Learning Paths