🐈
» Forums » Clients » Refund, possible fraudulent freelancer.
Page options
2048d741
Community Member

Refund, possible fraudulent freelancer.

I hired a freelancer on a fixed price web developer job and paid a $400 good faith depost through escrow, which has already been released to the freelancer. (One week ago.)  Over the last 2 weeks I have gotten numerous messages from him, saying "sorry for the delay, I'll have progress soon."  Now after 2 weeks , no work has been done and he is not responding.  Have I been scammed?  Do I have recourse through Upwork?

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
BojanS
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Gary,

I'm sorry about your experience with this freelancer. Our team will reach out to you directly to assist you with this concern and advise on further steps.

Thank you.

~ Bojan
Upwork

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
colettelewis
Community Member

Gary T wrote:

I hired a freelancer on a fixed price web developer job and paid a $400 good faith depost through escrow, which has already been released to the freelancer. (One week ago.)  Over the last 2 weeks I have gotten numerous messages from him, saying "sorry for the delay, I'll have progress soon."  Now after 2 weeks , no work has been done and he is not responding.  Have I been scammed?  Do I have recourse through Upwork?

It's a pity you released the money to the freelancer. However you can dispute it and ask for a refund. Have a look here. https://support.upwork.com/hc/en-us/articles/211062088-Request-a-Refund

Thank you Nichola,

Yes it is a pity.  I wanted to try to be a good human being during these tough times and got taken advantage of. 

Gary

I read this and have clicked back and forth multiple times.  I do not see a "place" to file a dispute or file a complaint.  It seems to be up to the freelancer to decide to repay me.  Fat chance.  And, I tried to add review and feedback after cnceling the job and then when I looked at his profile it says no feedback left by me.  I fear he is busy scamming others and this is definately not good for Upwork reputation.

BojanS
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Gary,

I'm sorry about your experience with this freelancer. Our team will reach out to you directly to assist you with this concern and advise on further steps.

Thank you.

~ Bojan
Upwork
2048d741
Community Member

Thank you Bojan,

Much appreciated!

Gary

Latest Articles
Learning Paths